Friday, January 24, 2014

Hot Blooded!

Check it and see, gotta fever of 103...  Foreigner - Lou Gramm - Rochester's very own...  Love that song.  I am not going to lie to you.  Its terrible out there.  My heart sinks for every single cat that came out to me today, and the ones lurking in the shadows, standing there in the snow, waiting for me to leave.  I sometimes lose readers here because of how sad this is, who needs to be reminded of this, right?  But you know what, its ME that's going out there and relieving some of their suffering, and aren't you glad to know that?  There is always good with the bad.  Remember this. 

Its Friday, thank God (the only thing I get a break from is my job for two days).  There are so many I want to rescue, but I can't with the surplus I have on hand right now.  I was thinking this morning, adopting a cat is like adopting a child.  Children are adopted at all ages.  The older ones have issues, no doubt.  And the angels that adopt these older children DEAL with their issues, they take the time, they have the patience to work it through with these desperate children.  They need to feel trusted and loved and that takes time.  Trust is earned.  Its the same for an adult cat.  People are too quick to give up.  Its not fair.  Each of my cats have their own issues, but I am not giving up on them.  Including the ones that I have just rescued off the street.  They are in completely new environments, with completely new humans and furry siblings.  Its all new.  So please, if you adopt a cat from me, please be patient.  It will work out, I promise you.  You just have to get through it.

Updates on most recent rescues:



Fraser, the little red kitty I rescued Sunday morning, who is being fostered by Sunday Sheryl, is coming out of his shell slowly.  Its been determined that a) its an unneutered boy, and b) the patches of fur missing are most likely due to him going in and out of the tiny opening of one of the bin shelters he'd been using on Baldwin.  Here is what Sheryl has to say:

"He didn't hide this morning, just timid. After eating he came to my feet under the computer desk.  :) Really adorable cat."

"He's getting easier to coax out for petting. Gave him tuna tonight. He'd never seen it before. Didn't eat it, just sat next to the bowl. I started petting him and he turned around and started eating like crazy while I pet him. So cute! And he plays! Last night I heard a toy being played with. He followed the laser beam tonight and batted and grabbed stuffed feather mouse when I dangled it."



Teddy (Sargent), the kitty I rescued a couple of weeks ago on Parsells with the rodent ucler, his foster Mom reports:  "He's doing great.  He's had the run of the house most of the day today.  No cat food today ... all chicken.  He's starting to pretty up ... his lip looks better and his fur is getting healthier and silkier looking.  He's getting the fish oil every day.  I bought him a scratching thing today.  Did you notice that one of his front fangs was broken in half?  

You can see his new tag in one of the pictures.  It has my information and on the back it says "I am an indoor cat, Call Gail", but like I said before, he doesn't seem to have any interest in going outside.

Tell your niece I'm sorry, but I have been calling him Teddy.  Sargent just seemed too tough for him, he's more of a teddy bear.  But for consistency, you might want to continue to call him Sargent on your blog.  I'm sure if someone adopted him, they would change his name again anyway."



Larry, the kitty that Wally was not taking very good care of, who has been being fostered by my niece with three young children:  "Larry aka Bubby is doibng very good he's used to my crutches has been sleeping regularly he's taken turns on everyone's pillows and every couch cushion.  He for sure is a bed hog.  But we all love it!"

Abby, who was just spayed - her Mom says:  

"This morning was a first….all 3 cats were in the kitchen @ breakfast time.  Sam continues to be unphased by Miss Abby’s presence.  (I love that old boy.)  As for Andy, he is still sorting through control issues.  He continues to hiss at Abby each time he sees her.  I have to laugh…Abby just looks him straight in the eyes as if to say, ‘get over yourself, big boy.  You can be the boss, I don’t care.  I just want something to eat.’   I would have never guessed we’d have such a good adjustment."

"Before the day gets away from me here are a few cute stories about Abby…I told you that she was getting braver and braver each day, well she went exploring in the crevices of my basement (at least I HOPE that’s where it was).  I saw her in the hallway and her face was covered in cobwebs.  She was trying her best to swat them off.  If you could have seen her expression….

Best one yet…..Scotchie (dog) was outside and Abby wandered down the hall to the back door.  I watch all my cats like a hawk around doors because as we all know, the outside is not a friendly place for cats.  Anyway, she goes to the back door and stands up with her paws on the glass and starts looking around.  All of a sudden Scotchie appears….Abby ducked so fast and was hiding behind the aluminum bottom of the door. The arch on her back was so high you could almost see it through the glass.  I almost wet my pants laughing so hard.  (Progress update…she now walks by him when he is sleeping.)"

"Captain Nasty, as Mike has named Andy, still hisses at her when he sees her.  She just shrinks and walks away – not confrontational at all.  It’s not the all-out “I’m going to kill you hiss,” more like a “just understand I’m the boss hiss.”  Sam doesn’t seem to mind one way or another.  Nobody is BFF just yet, but they are learning to play well in the litter box.  She is a love!"  



Gordie - well, Gordie is with me until his forever home, and he is the cutest little guy in the world.  Grey cats are just wonderful.  Although Gordie is on the younger side, and driving all my seniors crazy with his 'I wanna play!' catitude!  :)

Its just so wonderful to know these precious animals that should never have been on the streeets to begin with are safe and sound.

I reach out to my other most recent adopters - Charlie Sr. (now named Harley), Winky (now named Zoey), Monet, Cricket, Luigi,  Rupert, Molly, Cheddar, Penny Lane and Sgt. Pepper, Bobby and Charlie Jr., Pumpkin and Magic, Harold, etc. for updates.

Have a great weekend! 

5 comments:

  1. Doesnt get any better than that laides ! cant make up my mind which is my favourite story today, but very grateful to the familys that have commited their lives to taking in one of these poor creatures from the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really brutal out there. My 2 feral kittens have been spending much of their time inside the insulated houses I made for them. They come out to eat, go to the bathroom, and roam around a little but, but shortly they head back in where it's warm! Thanks for the updates on the kitties Janine. So glad to hear they are all doing so well! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to hear all the happy stories!! We have a cat we rescued 13 years ago... still spends most of her time hiding under the bed but she isn't hurting anyone and she is safe and sound. It's amazing how all the cats I have taken in off the streets NEVER try to get outside (all of my cats are inside only and happy to be just that.... they are like "no way, it's brutal out there!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fraser is a real Lover. He doesn't run for cover anymore as I enter the room. I moved my computer to this spare room to spend quiet time there and it's paying of with this little Red Boy. I held him in my arms for the first time this morning. The look of utter surprise was priceless! But he settled into it right away. This evening, after work, he asked to be on my lap! I picked him up and he brought his paws up to my chest and rubbed my face, head butting. And the PRRRR! I don't think he knew this kind of affection existed in the world. I believe he's young, maybe a teenaged kitten. He's so small. I call him Fraser after my favorite book series main character: James Alexander Malcolm McKenzie Fraser in the OUTLANDER series by Diana Gabaldon. An intense red-haired Scot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well my favorites success story update is Cheryl's comment above about Fraser enjoying a hug and head butting in rubbing on her chin, and her comment about him obviously never knowing affection like that before. That brought tears to my eyes. All these stories and updates we're just so heartwarming. I know for me the best is getting great updates and adapters to keep in touch. Love to hear the success stories Janine.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete