Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Creed

I have to make this quick.  I just got home, leaving the house at 5 am. and just now returning at 7 am.  I need to get to work.  It was heartbreaking out this morning.  I drove home with tears in my eyes.  I saw a lot of sadness, knowing the suffering that is happening out there.  From the paw prints in the snow, to the few cats that I did see, that were waiting there, standing pathetically in the snow covered towels that I placed yesterday under the food and water dishes for some dry warmth, to the cat on Central that was obvious very sick making a pathetic noise, and a horrible smell, to finally the dogs barking on Seventh, probably never have ventured inside a warm house in their life.  The wind was ferocious, I thought my skin would freeze, but then I couldn't even feel it at times. 

Thank you to the kind people who met me at the Stout garage to try to pry it open - they were successful in prying it open a bit, but it needed something to stick in there to keep it open enough for cats to get in.  It was one tough door, the City bolted it with nails so good - thanks City of Rochester, for your compassion towards animals.  I went back after my rounds to try to prop it open with a small rock I was able to find under the snow at some of my other spots, but not sure if the cats can get in this small opening, still.  I will bring something big tomorrow to prop it up more, but by then it will be out of the below zero temps that it will be in all day today.

Another sad note, Gordie's new 'father' called last night and told me that he couldn't sleep, that he was keeping him awake with his crying, and wanted to return him.  He's had him for a week.  He also said something about his Cleo not getting along with him.  I was dumbfounded, not finding the right words or advice because I was overwhelmed when I got the call.  Wally, if you will remember, the poor older black man who took in Larry a year or so ago called me to say he hadn't been home in almost a week, wouldn't tell me why, but I had keys to his place and I went over and took Larry, who's litter box was full, and his food scattered.  I was furious with Wally, and still don't know what I am going to do about it, but I now have poor Larry in my basement, Sargent in my bathroom, and now Gordie.  I asked Tony to please hold on for a few days until I can figure something out.  I don't know what I am going to do with him.  My life is chaos right now, and I am sick over it.  I remember this situation happened with Harold - who cried constantly, and their female kitty did not like him.  He was the kitty I rescued and Kim and her wonderful family adopted and stuck it out and now they couldn't be happier with him.  I am sick over this.  I need help fostering a cat.  If anyone can help out, I would certainly be forever grateful.
Harold
I love this, I like to read it again and again.  Someone else wrote it but it could have easily have been written by me, and thousands of others...  It is what my lot is life is defined by:

I am an Animal Rescuer
My job is to assist God’s creatures. I was born with the need to fulfill their needs. I take in new family members without plan, thought or selection.
I have bought dog or cat food with my last dime. I have patted a mangy head with a bare hand. I have hugged someone vicious and afraid.
I have fallen in love a thousand times and I have cried into the fur of a lifeless body. I have animal friends and friends who have animal friends.  I don’t often use the word “pet.”
I notice those lost at the road side and my heart aches. I will hand raise a field mouse and make friends with a vulture. I know of no creature unworthy of my time.
I want to live forever if there aren’t animals in Heaven, but I believe there are. Why would God make something so perfect and leave it behind? We may be master of the animals, but the animals have mastered themselves– something people still haven’t learned.
War and abuse makes me hurt for the world, but a rescue that makes the news gives me hope for mankind. We are a quiet but determined army, and making a difference every day. There is nothing more necessary than warming an orphan, nothing more rewarding than saving a life; No higher recognition than watching them thrive. There is no greater joy than seeing a baby play who only days ago, was too weak to eat.

I am an Animal Rescuer, My work is never done, My home is never quiet. My wallet is always empty, but my heart is always full In the game of life, we have already won.

8 comments:

  1. Janine you and the kittys have been on my mind constantly since this ice storm hit us.I am unhappy for you about the Larry situation in particular. I know him and the cat, and know for a fact, how much help you gave that man in his life, not that you are asking for thanks, OR, saying Wally is ungrateful....... but it is a harder blow to take, when you go above and beyond, and it still just cant be righted, on and on it goes. Of course you live on the edge, like the poor kittys. Want you to know despite my best efforts I too, have several out of control factors in my life at the moment. I feel your pain J., xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. People please, won't someone step up and help Janine foster one of these kitties temporarily? I run a rescue and I have cats in every room in my house, even m only bathroom! It olnly takes a small room, and office, a bathroom, it isn;t a big deal and there isn;t any reason most can't step up and help, PLEASE, I will help with a large bag of science diet cat food that should last quite a while and a 40 pound bag of litter if someone will help Janine out and take one of these fosters until she can find it a home. PLEASE let Janine know...you can make a difference, it really doesn;t take much, and I took the cost out of it...Julie Lafferty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine I sure do feel for you. My only advice is try to remind yourself that tomorrow will be better, if not tomorrow the next day. It will get warmer and hopefully things will get easier. Glad you made it through another day out there, I check the blog first thing in the morning to see if you are okay and have written. Hang in there. Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine - if you need my extra room for awhile for one of these kitties, please let me know. I know I told you I could do it on a temporary basis (for a week or so), but I will help for longer if you need it - you are obviously in a bind! I just won't be able to let the cat out of the one room because my Howie doesn't like other cats. Send me an e-mail at work or home - you should have both. Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janine, I can foster a kitty too. I'd love to see Larry again but I would keep him separate from the others. Let me know. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janine, I sent you an email with my phone number. I can foster Sargent if you like. I have a small dog, so I don't know how that would work, but I'm willing to try. I have a spare room if they can't be together. Gail G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all of you, it really is not a lot of effort and makes all the difference to these animals and to Janine! I will give her the food and litter for you! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post started out as disheartening, but seeing the responses from your awesome readers is so encouraging! One person can make a huge difference in the life of an animal.
    I wish Tony would give Gordie some more time. A week just isn't long enough for some cats to settle in and work out a relationship with the other resident pets.

    ReplyDelete