Monday, December 9, 2013

What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You

Some updates:  My cold is still hanging on, and I am still miserable!

Winky/Zoey - her mom reports:  "I'm sorry that I have to share this with you, but our Zoey does not have a good prognosis.  She has a large amount of fluid in her belly which is pushing on her heart.  They are almost positive that it is FIP and it is not treatable.  There is not much at this pont we can do but just love her."

Or course, I am very upset about this.  This tiny little baby that I rescued from the street, nursed and loved until her adoption a month later, only to have her get sick with some terrible disease that is not curable a month after that is just heartbreaking, for me and for her new parents.   I continue to pray for this little girl, who would have suffered a great deal had it not been for my daring rescue.  You have to remember, these cats would rather get hit by a car than let some big human grab them and take them away, but once they realize they are in safe hands, they are so grateful.  I can't tell you the feeling to rescue an animal.  I get teary eyed just thinking about it.  To see the ones remaining out there, suffering, and to see all the rescues I've made and to know the warm safe environments they are in now is priceless.



A few notes from this morning:  Its icy and cold out there - I picked up and held GORDIE - the grey kitty from Garson that I want to rescue next.  I actually kissed his soft fur this morning - so I know he is good to go.  Gordie from Garson.  I think its a great name!

There were EIGHT cats on Baldwin this morning.  EIGHT.  Two furry red fluffballs, that literally have red fluffballs - they are not fixed - and the other usual kitties that have been hanging around.  I've never seen the calico kitten in over a month there.

There were at least six cats on Pennsylvania and Fourth.  The sweet little black one, and the pretty fluffy red one still run to me, rolling on the ground at my feet.  They are not fixed either.  Big Red #2 and Baby Kitten are still there, along with a host of others.

On Sixth, a pretty grey with white, very shy, continues to limp on her back foot.  And a pretty red on Central continues to limp also. 

That's about all I have to report today.  I will get some more pictures tomorrow morning so that you can see for yourself all the sweethearts that need your help - from feeding to adoption. 

Have a great day!

"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.  For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people."

5 comments:

  1. Gordie is a fantastic name. Of course, in Star Trek, he was blind... :)
    I have seen several more cats behind the KFC on Chili Ave, making it 4adults and 2 kittens so far. Guess I'll keep stopping after work with some food. May eventually need some help with TNR.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Zoey. I had a grey tiger kitten that I hand fed when she was found abandoned in a barn at only a few days old. She was about 4 months old when diagnosed with FIP and was put to rest a few days before Christmas. It was heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to Zoey and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad to hear about Zoey. My thought and prayers are with her and her family, and you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sorry about Zoey. FIP seems to hit us all eventually. Very very sad that it hits the young and helpless who should have a long life ahead of them too. And that it is so poorly understood. Theres a lot of research being done into causes and possible treatments if anyone is interested look up the Bria Fund or Bria Foundation.
    My condolences to you and to her new family. I hope they will be able to carry on later and try again. And help another kitty from the streets. Excuse my "French" but it seems to me its just a
    "crapshoot". Any kitten practically is eligible. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember they go into heat often in january or february for spring kittens, so if you are going to try to head that off, now is a good time to start TNR ing them!!

    ReplyDelete