Thursday, December 26, 2013

All is Calm!

From my flower garden this past year!

Its the day after Christmas, and after all the family festivities, its finally quiet.  No more obligations for a while.   Except of course, feeding the city's kitties.   Someone asked me the other day, how long are you going to continue to do this?  Well, for as long as I am able to walk and breathe.  There are over 50 cats on my route that depend on me.  I go to 15 different locations, I place shelters, food and water, and I give them their one meal for the day.  It doesn't matter if its a blinding blizzard, thunder and lightning in the pouring rain, I am there for them between 5 and 6 am. every single day.  I've spent my last penny buying the 18 pounds of dry food needed to feed them PER DAY, and a case of wet food, PER DAY, it doesn't matter.  We all know what its like to feel hungry.  Just think of their tiny bellies, and fighting to get that meal between sometimes four other cats, not to mention raccoons and opossums.  Who else is going to do it?  I don't have help, I don't get a break.  God forbid I need to leave town for some unforeseen reason.  Take a vacation to an exotic locale?  Forget it.  Not on my clock.  Unfortunately. 

I delivered Abby to her new home yesterday.  She was a bit shy, but I have no doubt she will soon warm up to her big canine brother, and her two big feline brothers.  What a lovely home she has now.  And what wonderful parents!  Many thanks to my niece who cared for her the last week before her adoption.  It helped immensely with Gordie, the other beautiful grey cat that needs adoption, who is my extra right now in the house.  More than two rescues in the same house at the same time is a bit chaotic.

Please spread the word about Gordie.  There are so many other beautiful kitties that need rescuing and adoption.  At least a room in your home to foster them until they are adopted.  Please think about it!

In the meantime, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to work I go.  I will be calling the NET office today to find out how I can get in the garage, legally, to get my shelters, on Stout Street, where the Grinch came by the other day to board it up.   I brought a whole bale of straw with me this morning and threw it under the porch where the three kitties new home is, temporarily.  I hope they know enough to break it up and burrow into it, if they don't know enough to use my last two plastic tote shelters I placed under there.

I wish you all a GREAT day today.  Think Spring!  :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy to report that Abby is doing very well in her new home. She has not been formally introduced to her new siblings, but I have no doubt all will be well. She is just the sweetest thing. So hard to believe she was living on the streets a few short weeks ago. God Bless you Janine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine! Here is an update on Charlie from the teacher at my school (Julie) who told me about the other teacher (Barb) who wanted a kitty:

    Merry Christmas Kristin! I saw "Charlie" on Sunday. Barb had a little get-together for her daughter who's getting married in June. He was right there in the middle of everyone - just like he's lived there all his life. They love him! He is such a sweetie. David was "boxing" with him. Such a happy story. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
    So Charlie is doing great! Yay for Charlie, Abby and Gordie!!!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so wonderful to read good news about Abby and Charlie in their new homes. Now it's Gordie's turn! Any more photos of him?

    ReplyDelete