Friday, December 20, 2013

Good News Channel

I have the day off, so this is quick.  I was on my way home, after feeding many many little kitties standing there waiting for me at each of the 15 locations I go to in just over an hour each day, and the radio was on.  I have it set on AM talk radio just for background noise as I get in and out of my car.  After getting back in the car after my very last stop, the news was about someone getting killed in an accident, the next report was about someone being killed somewhere.  I thought to myself, there is so much sad, bad news - why can't we have a radio station that is dedicated to nothing but good news, good stories!  Or even set a certain hour in the day with nothing but.  Its very sad to hear about tragedies, especially during this time of year, because you know so many people are suffering, while others are feeling pure joy.  Maybe some won the lottery, some are sweet innocent children who have nothing in the world to worry about, some are young couples just starting out in the world.  But whatever position you are in, you have to find some joy.  Even if you have to go looking for it.  Its not going to come to you.

I read this on Facebook the other day:

"Sobering thoughts as we enter the holiday season...It is important to remember that not everyone is surrounded by large wonderful families. Some of us have problems during the holidays and sometimes are overcome with great sadness when we remember the loved ones who are not with us. And, many people have no one to spend these times with and are besieged by loneliness. We all need caring, loving thoughts right now.  Give a moment of support to all those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just need to know that someone cares. Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune."
 
Finally, I ran into Chester, the tall lanky older man with dreadlocks on Sixth Street this morning.  He has a great half toothless smile for me when I roll down my window to talk to him every so often.  He was telling me that I am known in the neighborhood, as he pointed out houses where he knows folks, and they talk about me feeding the kitties.  Chester lives in the back of a tiny house just down from the garage where I feed about six cats each morning.  He has an older dog who is unneutered.  He always remembers the flier I left him about the new low-income clinic that opened up on Bay Street, and he jokes that he doesn't want his dog fixed because he wants grandchildren.  :)  He is a character.   I got a lot of waves this morning, and one black gentlemen who consistently toots his horn to me on Seventh every day stopped just to wish me a Merry Christmas!  He told me he doesn't work, but transports people to and from their jobs. 
 
Yes, there are good people in this world. 
 
Prayers for Gordie as he undergoes a leukemia test this morning, and then has his manhood taken away!  :) 
 
Have a GREAT day and weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Thinkin about Gordie this morning - hope all goes well! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reference to an earlier post where you were looking for cat names, here's a link to the "Cat Names of the Year" that might give you some ideas:
    http://www.catchannel.com/news/2013/12/cat-names-2013-strangest-pet-names.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well with Gordie, poor boy! He deserves some extra treats! :)

    ReplyDelete