Saturday, December 29, 2012

Fourth Time's a Charm?




Guess who got rescued, for a fourth and final time???   Its HERCULES!!!  :) 

You will remember when Hercules was rescued from a boarded up house on Sixth about a month or two ago.  This was after I called my cop friend and she called her firemen friends, and one of them kicked a hole in the wood so thick, I thought he must be a beefy type guy (yum), and I named the cat after him!   Since then, I have been feeding him and Mr. Whiskers on the porch next to this house each morning, and Hercules climbs into my car onto my lap, and its always been so sad to leave him there.  Anyways, a week before the storm we just had, I heard crying coming out of another boarded up house on Short Street, where the next shelter is that I go to.  I walked over to this house (at 5 am.) and could hear a cat crying, but couldn't find a way to let it out, until I crouched down behind the house after spotting a hole near the ground, in the house.  I put my hand (in the very dark scary place) and started to dig dirt and gravel because I saw a paw, and hear crying right there.  As I was digging stones and dirt away to allow this hole to get bigger, the cat would paw at my hand, and I just kept digging.  Finally, I freed him by pulling a wooden plank aside, as best as I could, and he was freed through that tiny opening!  I tried to fill in the hole as best as I could and went about my business.  The next morning, Hercules was there.  Then the storm hit, and I didn't see Hercules again, until this morning when I went to the Short Street shelter to feed, and I heard the crying again!  I went back to the same spot at the house, and sure enough, there was Hercules, stuck in the basement again!  I dug, pulled the plank aside, and out he came.  This time, he was about five pounds lighter!  He was so happy to see me!!  I carried him to the car, and plopped him in the carrier!  I said, well, you are one lucky boy.  You will now get your wish, you will be in a house, forever!  :) 

I actually got a note from a girl who was on Petfinders and saw Rufus' picture and was interested in adopting him.  She was looking for a snuggler, and Rufus is not quite, he snuggles on his own terms.  He doesn't like to be held, so I racked my brain, and thought of Hercules immediately, as she has mentioned she wanted a boy cat.  SO glad he was there for me this morning.  So, Hercules is going to his hopefully forever home tomorrow!!  He is a REAL snuggler! 

Earl update:  He is coming around.  He is very independent, and I still haven't picked him up to hold him.  He is being closed doors at night, as there is still some hissing, but I trust him now to be in the GP (general public) when I am not at home.  He is a cutie patootie for sure.

Update:  My baby boy Boris, with FIV, is not doing well.  I've been lucky enough to have had him for the past six years.  He has been in fairly good health, and I have tried to protect him as best as I could from infectious dangers that he could be exposed to (i.e. getting outdoors), etc.  I have an appointment on Monday for him to see the vet.  I pray he holds out this weekend.  He was interested in some really good food I bought him this morning, so I hope he continues to eat.  Prayers for Boris!   :(  I've had some really bad luck lately with my longterm babies!!

Here are various pics of one of my shelters on Parsells from this morning.





3 comments:

  1. Hercules ! I cant believe it, he was so unhappy in that situation, and to think he waited just for you to show up again to help him, it proves they know at least they have one person to look out for them, and have great trust in you. He is a fine looking cat too. Boris has been a good kitty to you and the familly, and your Vet is well regarded in Rochester, so we will send prayers for him to stay healthy. We love your work Janine :) M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm so glad you rescued Hercules. Poor thing! I'll be praying that it works out for his forever home. :)

    I'll keep Boris in my prayers, too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor little man! He thinks he belongs inside! it's a good thing you're around when it's quiet or he'd really be stuck. great, Janine!

    ReplyDelete