Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Update


Well, the weekend went somewhat uneventful, despite it starting off with my little girl Toonces -a/k/a Tooncie Booncie, going to be with her brothers and sisters in heaven.  Just before her final injection, I told her to say hello to them, and I am sure she did.  There have been so many before her...

On Friday morning, as I went to feed Mr. Whiskers on Sixth, I heard a cat crying.  I looked over at the boarded up house next door to the boarded up house I feed Mr. Whiskers at, and there was a black cat on the second floor crying out of the open window.  I thought to myself it will come down, give it one more day.  Saturday morning, I got there, and the kitty was still in the window.  I left there, after trying to coax it down again, and went home to get my six foot ladder.  I brought it back as daylight dawned, set the ladder against the porch, and after climbing to the top of it, barely within arms reach, I could pet the cat after it came out on to the porch roof.   I tried to grab it at the nape of its neck, and I think I scared him because he then went back into the house and wouldn't come out.  I left a bowl of wet food on the porch roof.  I walked around the house trying to figure out how this cat could've gotten in, and meanwhile some people walked by and I asked them if they had a crowbar.   I will talk to anyone!  :)  Turns out this was Tim from Pennsylvania and Fourth who used to give me a hard time for feeding Sparkles and Limpy #2 at the abandoned house next to his house, but we wound up seeing eye to eye, and he left me alone since then.  He pointed out to me that I could enter the house through the loosely boarded up window to the basement (which is how the cat most likely entered), but that I should not think of entering the house next door - the one I feed Mr. Whiskers on the porch of, because it used to be a drug house and it had a no trespassing sign on it.   Of course after looking into the basement of this house, I was not about to crawl through this window and jump down into God knows what.

I then called my friend Laura, the policewoman!  She came by after a little while, observed the situation, and called a friend, the fire chief!  They sent a truck over, and after surveying and entering the house, could not get the cat - the floor boards upstairs were weak due to a previous fire.  One of the firemen, who I believe is a relative of Hercules, wound up kicking in a hole in this very solid wooden board covering one of the doors to the house.  Laura told me the kitty should make its way out through the hole and to let her know.   I am so thankful for Laura!  I could not figure out how I was going to resolve this! 

Sunday morning, sure enough, there was "Hercules," sitting on the porch.  Waiting for food, hungry.  I thought Hercules was a good name for this cat! 

"Few of us write great novels, but all of us live them."

3 comments:

  1. Someone should tell the Fireman the nick-name he earned himself, what a great guy ! also many thanks to the Police woman, and to you Janine for following through with this, it could have ended very sadly, but for you. May God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry for your loss, Janine. You did right by your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about Toonces, Janine. You continue to amaze me every day..not only with the feeding, the rescues, the trap & neuters (thanks Laura, for your help)....everything. You truely are an Earth Angel. Lova ya, Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete