Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sugar

SUGAR
RIP my sweet little Sugar.  I went home yesterday afternoon, wrapped my little guy in a blanket, carried him to the car, and drove with him in my arms to the vets office.   He let out faint cries which broke my heart.  If I had one cat that absolutely hated going to the vets office, it would be Sugar.  Once Dr. Boehm saw him, he gave him a sedative to calm him.  Sugar was very sick, and 14.5 years old, which makes him 98+ years old in human years.  There are those out there, actual true friends of mine, who dispute not trying to take every measure to heal these guys when they are sick, but no one knows my situation financially, and if I could, I would.   I can barely afford the burial fees I am charged, which are over $130 each time, and think about it, I've had five cats PTS in the past four months.  All of my own babies to boot.  I have to do what I feel best for the animal at the time, and that is to end the suffering.  He had not eaten since Friday, and I could not force him to.  It was time, he had a wonderful life with me and his surviving brothers and sisters, and he is now with his brothers and sisters who are in eternal life above.
Sugar & Thunder (in better days)


Mr. Kitty, now named Toby, is doing wonderfully.  I couldn't have rescued a nicer cat, I have to admit.  I would have liked to keep him myself, but I've had enough to contend with these days, and there are some more desperate than others, like the Grey Boy on Parsells.  I told him this morning "you are next."  He may have to be treated for URI when I get him, that is why he is next.  He seems sick.

I have not seen Hercules in many days, I worry so about him.  It was pouring rain this morning, and difficult to get pictures so another day goes by without an updated picture.  Sorry.

My shelter on Ferndale and Webster remains intact.  I got a call from Marilee, the woman who is a little off her rocker, but has a good heart, and she told me she got permission from The Net to put the shelter in the back of a parking lot next door to the apartment building a lot or two down from the lot I have the shelter on.  It was sweet of her to advise me of this.  She cares for the cats as much as I do, even though she doesn't believe in spaying or neutering!  I had to look up what the NET stood for, and here is what it is: 

[Neighborhood Empowerment Team Enforcement of property code violations in Rochester is handled by the Neighborhood Empowerment Team, or NET. Rather than utilizing a centralized code-enforcement office, 10 sectors in Rochester are assigned a total of six NET offices by the city government. Some[who?] have complained about the lack of consistency in the resulting manner and severity of enforcement. On July 16, 2008, the city announced that two of the NET offices would be closed and another relocated, due to what it had found to be the high cost and low value of operating the decentralized network.[42]

I am not sure what this office can do for cat shelters, but I hope and pray that Marilee's news to me is for real!  Does anyone know about this office? 

I leave you with a prayer that comforts me:



My Prayer for Sugar
Treat me kindly, dear master. Accord me the courtesy due to a cat — and I for my part will love you, amuse you and cheer your heart as only a cat can do.

Give me a sunny spot to sleep in when morning dawns and I will warm your lap on cold evenings.

Respect my independence and my need to walk alone at times and I will look after myself, so that you may come and go as you please.

Speak to me in our secret kitty language, let me hear my name sung in the music of your voice, and I will meow happily in sweet harmony with you.

Stroke my fur gently and lovingly and I will soothe you with the soft purrs that can only come from a happy cat.

Indulge my curiosity and I will show you the joys of bird watching, star gazing and other kitty pleasures.

Play with me and see me rejoice! Toss a humble ball of yarn and I will delight you with my cleverness and acrobatic leaps.

But do not laugh at me or allow me to be teased for there is nothing I prize more than my dignity.

Keep my surroundings neat and clean and I will be fastidious in my habits.

Feed me and be fair and I will teach you how to tell “kitty time” by instinct and tummy tunes.

And when I am old and the time comes to say farewell, hold me gently in your arms and I will go without a whimper.

For with you I am trusting, safe and secure. A cat who walked alone but loved you with a full and happy heart.

THE END





3 comments:

  1. Aww, Janine, I share your sadness for the loss of Sugar. It is always the same feeling, no matter how many we lose. He was an epic age....and I regret treating my 18 yr/old with pills and IVs., that kept her alive, but not happy, in the last weeks of her life. I support your action for Sugar. What a break through that would be for you if that "Net" association can help, it is so needed in that difficult neighbour hood. May God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby is one lucky boy, he got himself a person of his own for Christmas ! Monkey cat is eating her breakfast from my hand in the mornings, giving me head butts, and Big Red/Sandy is behaving himself nicely with her, and "working out" with his many toys. Two gorgeous cats from the streets, who would have thought it ?..... xxx Maree

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry to read about Sugar. It's never easy to make that dreaded decision. Bless dear Sugar... The prayer is very touching and so true - loved it.

    ReplyDelete