Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gimme Shelter Part Two


First thing, here is a picture of a shelter that my friend Kristin and her husband Darrin have built for me which we are going to place the Webster/Ferndale locale...  This spot has been a source of contention forever, but hopefully, this shelter, which looks pretty solid and fortified, will last there through the winter.  Its made out of a piece of furniture they found at the side of the road.  It has a feeding area, and a sleeping area.  Amazing what a little time and effort you can do.  Kristin and Darrin, and all the others who have taken the time to help me with sheltering these animals on the streets are ...  I don't even know a good way to describe you.  You are good people, thats all I can say.  These animals need our help, and even though you are not out there with me in the mornings feeding, trapping, etc., you are with me in spirit, and your efforts are appreciated by these cats.  Pretty cool, isn't it?

Second, I got a nudge from Laura yesterday about TNR'g another three of the seven cats we have left to spay and neuter at Lollipop, and this morning, I successfully got two, and hopefully Laura got the third.  I got Hercules from Sixth, and another pretty little boy that looks EXACTLY like my Buster, from Parsells.   If there are three today, that will be a total of 66 cats done so far this year through the Lollipop grant.  That doesn't include the many others I've done through HFC clinic prior to that, and Another Chance Pet Rescue taking in several pregnant cats I rescued since the first of the year.  Pretty good job by all, pat on the back to me.  :)




Last night, as I was contemplating this morning's TNR (trap, neuter, return) after I got home from work, I got the dreaded call.  The folks that adopted Vanessa (they then renamed her Heidi because her colors were like a hyena - although I saw the colors as being like a VanGogh painting!) two weeks ago wanted to return her.  Apparently their female Izzy was terrorizing Vanessa, and they felt bad for her.  I couldn't argue with them, its rare that you can put two females together alone and have them be the best of friends.  So, she was dropped off, and when she entered the house, its like she never left.  There was chasing and playing and loving with her brothers and sisters all night until bedtime, where it became quiet until the good times continued this morning!  We will find her a home soon, I pray! 

Yesterday morning, as I was feeding at my last location, a large black man across the street was putting out his garbage.  As I got out of the car and shouted goodmorning!, he asked why I was doing what I was doing.  I walked across the street and told him why.  After a minute, I could tell that he was very sympathetic to what I was doing, and he even told me he loved animals, and had pets of his own.  He told me I was special to do what I do, but he also warned me a few times to be careful, that this wasn't always the safest street.  I shook his hand, we introduced ourselves, his name is Carl, and he wished me a blessed holiday season.  I could have cried right then and there, but held it together!  I face SO much adversity from people, and when I get the few accolades that I do from strangers that live in these areas I go to, its just overwhelming to me emotionally. 

Last but not least, as I pulled up to my third to last spot this morning, where Big Red was rescued, and Talkie and Neck Wound kitty and another still hang, my heart sank as I spotted a baby kitten, a white and red fluffball.  I got close enough to it and noticed its legs looked dwarfed.  It wouldnt' let me close, but I placed a bowl of food and water down for it.  Just a baby.  Broke my heart.

I have a vacation day tomorrow, but will try to keep you informed about tomorrow's antics, and releasing these poor animals back out onto the streets.  Thanks for reading and thanks to all who have ever donated to me.  I wouldn't be able to continue if not for your kindness.

3 comments:

  1. Yaaay , fantastic news Janine, I love that shelter your friends built, they are very clever, your work is slowly but surely gaining power over adversity, the results are there ! many blessing to you and those who do not harm you and the cats on the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you always, Janine, from kitties and friends alike! Please keep me posted re: little kitty with dwarfed legs (like my Timmy? Want her/him to be safe.)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - looks well made and large - careful you don't get in trouble for trespassing on private and/or city properites tho! You do NOT need that kind of legal issue to add to your problems! Cat's will not be able to pay for that...

    ReplyDelete