Monday, December 10, 2012

Monkey Girl!!

I sit here reflecting on the weekend.  What a weekend it was... 

I rescued Monkey Girl this morning, after getting the green light from my friend Maree who said 'lets try it  - Big Red needs a companion'.  It was so easy.  You have to remember, these cats are either born outdoors, dumped by people who are ignorant, or lost.  Then there are the feral cats that don't come out until after I leave.  The catsthat run to me when I pull up in my car  - I know each of these them like my own children - if  I had them!  I know which I can pick up, and hold, and caress, and I tell them they will soon be rescued, and to just hold on.  The others I can just pat while they are gobbling up their food in the very cold cruel weather we have. This is the reason I am trying to get these cats, as many as I can, off the streets.  They are too sweet to be out there trying to survive on their own.  There is just too much stacked against them.

Just under a year old, Monkey was ready.  She was in the habit now of following me back to the car after I placed food down for her.  Talk about guilt.  Driving away from her the past few months I've been feeding her has been horrible.  Knowing I am leaving these babies behind, looking back at them in the rearview mirror.  

But this time I grabbed her and placed her in my carrier, and told her her ship had come in.  After delivering her to her new home early Sunday morning, I went to visit her hours later and let her out of her carrier and introduced her to Big Red.  They took on immediately.  He needed a companion, and this little girl was it. 

What joy this is.  I see these cats every single day and its heartbreaking to leave them.  Its so gratifying to take them off the street and place them.  You just don't know the wonderful feeling until you've done it, until you've rescued a cat from the street.  Actually, quite a few of you do - those that have adopted the cats from me that I've rescued.  There are no words to describe knowing you've ended the long term street suffering of these animals.

I saw the little kitten that has dwarfed legs yesterday.  I left her some food across the street from where I rescued Big Red, and still feed Talkie and his friends.  I must set a trap to rescue her as she is leary of me.  She is just a baby kitten, all white and red fluffball, and I must get her.

Another highlight of the weekend was my art teacher friend Kristin coming all the way in from Churchville at 5:30 in the morning Sunday and delivering the shelter she and her husband built from a coffee table.  What a shelter!  Its sturdy, and warm, and practical!  I promise to get some pictures, if I can ever remember my camera.  As I approached it this morning (yes, thank God no one had taken it off this city-owned lot on Webster during the day yesterday), a red cat ran out of it, obviously in a deep sleep inside its warm, straw filled sleeping chambers.  I just pray that multiple cats will use it, and that no territorial fighting happens.  Cats can be so cruel to each other. 

So all in all a good weekend!  Have a wonderful day!



4 comments:

  1. We love good news and the cats you carefully select for us Janine. "Monkey" is adorable, I cant believe she was out there so long, she is irresistable in person and has made life even better for my Big Red/Sandy, a delighful Christmas gift to my home. Thank you for your dedication to these homeless cats, they have the ability to change a persons attitude and mood, if only they can have a home and a human to call there own. Maree

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful news about Monkey girl! So happy she is off the streets, in a warm, loving home with Big Red/Sandy! Keep us posted on dwarf-legged kitty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news about Monkey girl...is she being properly named? And I agree with Maree....they truely are a gift to those of us who have taken in a stray (or two). Keep up the good work Janine!! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad for Monkey Girl! And can't wait to hear her new name and see photos of her snuggling with her new big brother, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete