Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Katie, Danny and Annie!

11 degrees this a.m.  Brrrrrrr.  Although by the time I was done, and the truck was finally heating up to the point of being too hot, I was starting to remove half my clothes before I got home.  I placed one shelter somewhere, rather than the three I brought, because most of my spots have good shelter.  The cats just need to use them.

Petals, the beautiful white with red spots cat I rescued from Melville yesterday, the one I thought was prego, turned out to be a boy.  The clinic must think I am quite the idiot.  This cat was huge in the middle, and so lovey dovey, like a pregnant cat acts.  I just didn't grab her 'down there.'  Its usually the first thing I do if I see a new cat and its not eartipped.  It's my normal way of greeting them. Like, Hi!  Are you neutered, let me just see....  grab you.... nope, you are not neutered.  Its like the cat then says, oh Hi, nice to meet you!  and what the H are you doing to me!  I don't even know you!  haha.

Petals is now Danny.  He just looks like a Danny boy.  With the red and all.  VERY VERY AFFECTIONATE.  Drug and disease free.  :)  All set to be adopted.  In the meantime, a former adopter Laurie (3 cats!) is going to foster Danny, picking him up today.

Annie, on the other hand, WAS a pregnant juvenile.  No more.  Very early stage.  She is super affectionate once you pick her up, but is a hider until then.  She is just shy.  She will be going to our super duper cat socializer, Melissa's house today.


KATIE GIRL

That leaves Katie.  Katie is the last of the kitties I am fostering in my house.  So let me tell you a little story.

My sister's father-in-law Frank is 94 years old.  He is a completely sound, fit and active man.  His wife died at least 10 years ago?  He adopted a cat from Lollipop maybe a year or two ago?  He fell in love with this kitty, Buddy, and that was that.  A week ago he had brought Buddy into the vet because he wasn't acting right.  They sent Frank home with some pills.  Frank had a hard time pilling the cat, so he then called my mother, who he knew was familiar with cats.  She came over and they both tried to pill Buddy.  They couldn't, so my mother took it upon herself to call Franks vet, mentioning that Frank was 94 and asked if they could maybe keep Buddy for overnight or two to continue with his medicine, and monitor him. They agreed wholeheartedly to help Frank out.

The very next day, the vet himself called Frank to tell him that Buddy wasn't doing so well, and that they believed he had cancer of the rectum, and that his quality of life was not good at this point.  Frank called my mother to ask her if she would go to the vet with Frank to say goodbye.  Well, Frank got there, and held Buddy, and sobbed and sobbed for him.  He was his companion, his cuddle buddy.  The vet explained the procedure, and Frank said he couldn't stay.  But my mother said she would, and she did.

Then this past Sunday, my sister called - Frank was over to her house visiting the family - and asked about Katie (after my mother and sister mentioned her to him).  And guess what.  Katie is going to Frank's house on Friday as his new companion!  I will deliver this sweet mellow cat after work.  Of course it was agreed that I would take Katie back if anything happened to Frank.

So there you have it.  A good story after a sad story.  So, have a great day!

Four Feet in Heaven

Your favorite chair is vacant now,
no eager purrs to greet me, 
no softly padded paws to run
ecstatically to meet me.

No coaxing rubs, no plaintive cry
Will say its time for feeding..
I've put away your bowl
And all the things you won't be needing.

But I will miss you little friend
for I could never measure
the happiness you brought to me.
The comfort and the pleasure.

And since God put you here to share
in earthly joy and sorrow,
I'm sure there'll be a place for you
in Heaven's bright tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment