Monday, January 21, 2019

One Foot In Front Of The Other




-3 degrees.  That was the temperature this morning at 3:30 a.m.  With the wind whipping about, it was surely past -10.  We have had a very bad storm blow into Rochester that came from the west – in fact started in the Pacific Ocean last weekend, and it took all this time to arrive in Roch cha cha… It began on Saturday, and just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse than yesterday morning – Sunday – it did.  Overnight Saturday we had close to 16 inches, and then had another at least 5 inches dumped overnight Sunday.  With the winds blowing, the drifts were high.  Top that off with someone with a bad hip, and it was hell. 

Random pic.... but reality
But luckily, an angel came along and helped dig out my shelters both mornings.  This is not to say that others who have tagged along in the past were not as helpful, but this one… this particular girl, just blew me away with her enthusiasm (at 3:30 in the morning!), her determination, and her strength.  She came from the other side of the city in a blizzard on Sunday, and close to a blizzard this morning.  In her little car no less.  AND she got stuck at one point.  She arrived Saturday in a neighbor’s truck – her neighbor happened to be off due to a mandatory halt on semi-truck drivers on the thruway because of the storm, and he just happened to be up and about when she was headed out.  He tagged along behind, and offered his help when he was able.  It was tough not only trudging through snow up to your knees, but even getting in and out of the car in the weather conditions.  I am just so grateful.  My body aches for this extra work it had to do, but it could have been much worse.  So a BIG shout-out to Shelly Jo Stam for going way above and beyond.  Thank you Shelly, I am ever so grateful.  Oh one more thing,  Shelly is a riot!  She had me laughing hysterically!  Thanks for the much needed laughs Shelly.

Now, any volunteers to help me out tomorrow morning?  I sure could use it.

Reese and Newton went to their new home this weekend. I’ve never seen more mellower kittens.  I wish them a long and happy life with their new parents, Carl and Josie!

An update on Chance!  He is slowly being introduced to his canine siblings!  He was a little nervous…  but think about it.  He has come a long way.  From near death, to this!


Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Janine--you are SO very welcome! It makes MY heart happy that I could be there for you and the kitties. I was feeling so very, very selfish that I was not out there for you this morning. I am SO HAPPY to see that you had someone to do shoveling duty. I feel a little better now!!! You are my hero today and every day for what you do. Having been there, I see how hard you work. This is 365 people!!! Not just when you feel like getting up at 2:00 am (which is the time I am usually GOING to bed!) My hat is off to you! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete