Thursday, December 28, 2017

DEC 15!! Tracy S.! Feed A Cat For Christmas!

TRACY!!  My neighbor!!!   Thanks Tracy for all you do for me.  Tracy even fostered for me once, back in the early days...  Such a great family, I am so blessed to have them right next door.  Thank you for helping me to feed many kitties for Christmas!

5 degrees this morning.  So cold my cell phone would not work.  No pictures.

I thought I would share a quick run down of my FIRST HALF of my route today (this would be a very long post if I included the second half!). 

Leave house at 3:45 a.m – 5 degrees, light winds

Drive to Melville Street – 1st stop.  Grey kitty greets me each day, not as interested in the food I’ve poured as it is in the water I’ve poured.  Kitty begins to drink the water but its too hot.  I hope it waited a few minutes and tried again after I left. 

Melville 2nd stop – See two kitties peering out at me -  one is long haired red, the other is long haired tabby - on porch of vacant house where I have three shelters situated –- this proves to me they’ve been in the shelters – they jump off the porch and into the snow as I make my way to empty the water bowl of its ice, refill that, and the food.  I see that the wet food I left yesterday has hardened.  They were not there when I left the food yesterday.  I leave a bit more of the wet, hoping they come back quickly to gobble it up before it freezes.

Melville 3rd stop – grey kitty once again comes racing to meet me, I trip as I make my way to the back of this lot, with this little one darting in front and back of me, crying.  I make it to the shelter, see a few kitties scatter, which proves someone there is using the shelters I have placed.  Grey kitty gobbles up the food.  I leave, telling him to USE THE SHELTERS PROVIDED!

Ferndale and Webster – no sign of ML.  I check the towel I placed there (for their little pads – don’t want them to be standing on a freezing board (old Formica counter top) while they eat.  No sign of kitty prints.  Makes me sad to think they may not have been here overnight.  Add food and water.

Parsells #3 across from Baldwin – no sign of red kitties here – I believe they are Harvey and Huey’s parents, the kittens I rescued earlier this year (who were just adopted!)  I pray they are using the shelters I have here on this vacant lot tucked away in the weeds.  Leave food and water.

Parsells #2 – Kitties always scattering here and there when I pull up – at least five that I see.  One is an old red kitty with white who has been very sickly looking this past year.  I always thank God he is still around.  There are four shelters here under the bushes.  They tenants want me gone because of the raccoons, but I continue to feed and shelter because I won’t leave these cats to suffer.  Leave food and water.  I also believe the Sylvester looking kitty with the face wound resides here, but his face has healed.  I think it’s the same one.

Parsells #1 – I can see that Lisa – Crazy Lisa – has been here, moving shelters around, placing towels over shelters.  I know she thinks she is helping, but I wish she would leave things alone.  Here is where the beautiful long haired blue eyes Siamese that has finally begun to trust me greets me each morning, along with a black cat, and a calico.   I know there are others hiding, they won’t come into view while I am there.  I need to place a tarp here soon.  And add another small shelter – but have no more.  I NEED MORE SMALL SHELTERS!

Garson #1 – I feed what appears to be Gracie’s sibling – she looks exactly like Gracie, but a bit more fluffy.  And another sweet cat.  I feed under the porch of a vacant house here.  Two Styrofoam shelters under here, but not sure anyone is using.  Both sweet kitties.

Garson #2 – This is where I’ve rescued a bunch of kittens this year.  There are at least 6-8 cats here, one being George, the nice black and white that waits for me, and the other is that red cat that was missing a few months ago from down the street at Grand and Baldwin.  He’s travelled.  He’s now here.  I have named him PITA.  He is a PAIN IN THE ___.  He spills the water, and the food every single morning.  If I could hate a cat, I would hate him, but I don’t.  AT first I thought he had worms, so I treated him for them.  But his behavior – devouring the food as I pour it – continues.  I don’t know what is up with him.  Here, there are two separate feeding/shelters, right next to each other.  One has four shelters inside, the other two – one being the large beautiful wooden shelter that Jim built for me years ago. 

Grand and Baldwin – Here we have at least six kitties waiting for me each morning.  In better weather, they run to the Jeep when they see the headlights.  These days, they are hunkered down in the shelters.  Nice shelters.  Edison Tech students built two humongous two-story wooden huts – they must be 1000 pound each.  Then there is the nice wood one that Lou built, across from it is the wooden one that Sheryl built, and in between are two or three plastic tote shelters.  They are cozy here.  At the bench where the tree is, there are two shelters underneath here.  Lately, Mr. Fluffypants look-a-like has been hanging around.

Tomorrow is my day off, but I will try to post another, and describe the second half of my route.  There are………….. NINE more shelters I visit before finishing up each morning.  OK.  So that’s 19 locations I house and feed cats at.  Crazy man, crazy.

Also tomorrow, the numbers from 2017!

Have a great day!

For Stray and Homeless Animals
To all the fur-beings who are lost, 
Or homeless,
Or living as strays,
may they find a good meal to eat.
May they have shelter to keep them warm.
May they have comfort.
May they be shown kindness by strangers.
And may they return home, or find good homes.
May they rest in a place in which they can thrive.
Filled with love, with warmth, with tender caring,
with good food, with true companions
for all of their days.


1 comment:

  1. I see you've had no comments for three days, so I wanted to let you know that I do look forward to reading your posts each day. I can't imagine doing what you do every day, especially in this frigid weather! Thank you for all you do, Janine. You are an angel! (I will keep my eyes open for more styrofoam boxes for you.)
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete