Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Musings...

So for the past few years, since my name has gotten out there to more people, thanks to social internet websites, people see the RESCUE in JanineTheBean Rescue, Inc.  All good people, but more and more are thinking that I will come along and rescue a cat you have found somewhere.  Whether it be at your house or away from your house.  I am not a rescue.  Do I rescue cats?  Absolutely.  But the majority come from the streets and the route I drive every day to feed over a hundred of them.  I see the ones in need, and grab them when I have fosters available.  My average per year is rescuing between 50 and 100 cats.  I've had great success in getting them adopted too.

I receive calls from people who say - so and so rescue group referred me to you, and this or that veterinary hospital gave us your name... Well thanks guys.  Because not only can't I take in all the cats, but I feel HORRIBLE saying NO to anyone.  And HORRIBLE now wondering about the fate of that cat.  So I responded with what will be my norm from hereon.  And let me tell you, I hope people don't judge me by my response.  We all have our opinions and advice we give and we don't want to be criticized for it if it differs from others.  But its MY advice, and I'm sticking to it.

So I get a message from a girl saying just this - believe me, their intentions are good!  But education is key, and so is effort:

I have a cat that was left in an evicted apartment

very sad. how can i help you?
Was wondering if you'd be willing to take it it's an indoor cat doesn't go outside








No, I am sorry, but I have a houseful, and I am not that kind of ‘rescue’. I more or less feed over a ess feed over a hundred stray and feral cats on the city streets every day. There are so many that need a home, and I have to leave them behind each morning. Its up to you, and people like you, to do the right thing, and care for them, even if it means you have to bring it to a shelter like Lollipop. It’s the humane thing to do, if you can’t care for it while its outdoors. Winter is brutal on animals without shelter or food.

Other than the above, it was a very windy morning.  And halfway through my route, the rain started.  I pretty much got soaked.  I was careful and diligent at each of my stops however, knowing full well that winter is upon us, and is likely to strike tomorrow.  I battened down the hatches.  I made sure the tarps were secure, that the rocks placed on them were secure, I made sure that the boards covering the insides of these little shelters were secure so that snow didn't get inside them, or as best as I could.  All the little ones were out there waiting for me, and I pray they are tomorrow, when we are due a winter storm.

I hope my posts are not all doom and gloom to you all.  I feel joy each day, even though I see sadness.  I tell this one and that one - 'you are next'.  Just wait.  Be safe, and wait.  I couldn't do it without wonderful people willing to adopt the ones I've rescued.  So the following are who I have left waiting for homes.  Because GUESS WHAT.  This weekend, I got Willow, Ziggy, Rusty, and Stevie adopted!  GREAT NEWS!

Here is who we have left!

Izzy (the last of the last litter)

IZZY Snoozing This Morning


Butterball


Muffin


Maize


Toebe




Lets keep up the good work all!  Lets get them adopted so we can get more off the streets!  Thanks for sharing!

Have a great day...

"The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long."

1 comment:

  1. All those sweet, sweet little faces! Gah!

    I'm proud of you for setting boundaries for yourself! You can't do it all, and you will just burn out if you try to. Great job getting so many adopted out this weekend!

    ReplyDelete