Wednesday, December 20, 2017

DECEMBER 8th! LYNNE S.! Feed a Cat for Christmas!

LYNNE S!.  Sawyer's Mom!!!  Thank you for helping to feed a cat for Christmas!!!

SAWYER - Pre-Rescue!
If you will recall, I rescued Sawyer from Short Street on February 1st, 2015, who was hanging out with Sam, Mr. Whiskers, and Buttons at the time.  Sam and Mr. Whiskers are STILL there, but Sawyer is bundled up in a warm house and loved beyond words.  Lynne, I am so grateful for you, and for your compassion to take in our baby Sawyer...  He deserved a good home, and he sure did get one!  These cats all deserve a home!  Please consider a street cat.  They are most grateful of all.

SAWYER Now!


I forgot to mention, I rescued the copper colored Kitty!  :)  Woo Hoo!  Thank you Hearthside Cats for offering to take this pretty girl.  One more off the streets!  My Motto:  I can't save them all, but I can save them, one at a time!  :)


COPPER!!
Update for today.  No sign of MaryLeigh as of 5:30 am. this morning.  It did look like the kitties were waiting for their breakfast, and had used the shelters.  They came flying out of them when I walked up.  I was ready for MaryLeigh though, with the law on my side.  Today is trash day though, and I will be staking out the area for a bit if she thinks she will sneak over there and move one of the shelters to the curb.  On a good note, a young man came out of the house across the street to get his car started.  This is the house I have fed at for years, with a nice shelter in the back.  The previous owners gave me permission.  They moved out and the house remained vacant.  I've rescued SO many cats from this corner.  Anyways, he came out, I walked over to him, introduced myself, told him what I was doing across the street, and what MaryLeigh was doing, and asked him to keep an eye out.  His name is Peachy.  I think he is just peachy.  :)

Below is another excerpt in the life of Andrea and the kitties she and her husband care for in their back yard in the country.  I have left out valuable pictures she sent me to fill in at certain parts, but they are on my work email, but seeing as how I am ON VACATION today, I don't have access to those pictures.  Check back later, maybe she will send them to me and I will repost!  :)

Part Two - Andrea's Story:

Chapter 2 – the Construction of the Palace
Hubby Lou agreed to build a shelter for our growing outdoor cat family. The shelter walls are insulated, the roof is hinged for easy cleaning and it even has a small sun porch with an awning. It has plenty of straw to keep them nice and warm and hubby painted it brown, as requested, so that it would blend in with the scenery.



We put the shelter up on cinder blocks so it would be off the ground in case the snow gets too high. We have 4 acres of land so they have plenty of wooded area and trees to play.



So I put out the “For Rent” sign out and within 10 minutes our first prospective tenant showed up it was Baby Blackie. He went in to look around kind of like going to an “open house.” He said he would get back to me and off he went. A few more prospective tenants came and looked around but in the end it was Baby Blackie who signed the lease. He moved in and then about a week later I noticed that “The Boss” had moved in and Baby Blackie was evicted. So now “The Boss” and Baby Tiger have taken up residence in the shelter. Baby Tiger sits inside the house daily looking out and blocking the entrance so no intruder can get in and “The Boss” sits outside on the sun porch and occasionally goes for a stroll. So now you are thinking poor Baby Blackie is still living in the cold have no fear I am way ahead of you. Another shelter is under construction for Baby Blackie J Hubby did not have the heart to say no when he saw Baby Blackie sitting alone in the cold snow next to the shelter.

Since it has started to snow and gotten colder I was worried that the food would get wet or covered in snow. So I again nagged hubby to make a feeding station. Now he really thought I was off my rocker but when I showed him that the cats were digging in the snow for the food it pulled at his heart strings and he went and built one.



At first we put in heavy plastic dishes which I had him screw in to the wood but a few days later we found that some animal started destroying the dishes.



So we spoke with Janine and she said to get some ceramic dishes that they would withstand the cold and also a dish for water. We moved the dishes forward because the cats like to go into the feeding station and face outwards. Hubby also brings a brush with him when he feeds them and cleans off all the snow in the feeding station and the shelter. He also shovels a path from the house to the shelter not that any of them would attempt to come that close. I think it really was to make it easier for hubby to bring the food and water to the shelter.



In the next chapter I will tell you the story of our attempt at TNR. It sounds a lot easier than it is. I don’t know how Janine does this on a weekly basis!!


Thanks Andrea!  There sure are a lot of good people in this world, doing their part!

Have a great day!


"Someone else is happy with less
than what you have."

2 comments:

  1. I remember Sawyer! He's still adorable!

    Great story from Andrea. I so admire her and her husband for caring for those kitties. Are they true ferals?

    ReplyDelete