Monday, December 18, 2017

DECEMBER 7th! LAURIE C! Feed a Cat for Christmas! 🎅

Pringles newly rescued

Pringles newly rescued

Mystic then
LAURIE C!!!!  Thank you so much for your donation to help me feed a cat, or quite a few, for Christmas!  Laurie came into my life several years ago, when she adopted a cat from me, through a mutual friend of ours, who was fostering a few kittens for me.  His name was Mystic, but changed it to Manley.   Flash forward, early this year, April 10, 2017 I rescued a kitty from Parsells and named her Pringles.  Laurie spotted Pringles on Facebook and immediately fell in love.  Her new name is Daisy.   Thank you so much Laurie for opening your heart and home to a street cat.  And helping to feed those left behind.
👄❤

Pringles/Daisy (left) & Mystic/Manley (right)

This was an INSANE weekend.  I can thankfully report to you that the MaryLeigh saga has ended, for now.  I am very grateful to a friend of mine who was able to go to her house with a uniformed officer and, after no response (She won't answer the door), taped a report to her door that stated she must stop stealing my things, or be arrested.  Since Friday, she has stopped stealing my food and shelters.   Thank God.  What a nightmare that was for me.  It had gone on long enough.  I had to deal with her this entire summer EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Two very talented friends built a very very heavy duty shelter and brought that Sunday morning to this location, just in case she got it in her head to try to move it again on trash day, but this shelter takes four people to even budge it.  Its a temporary spot, for sure, as the house is vacant now, but won't be for long.  But at least the cats have a place to burrow into, and feel safe for a night.  I am so grateful to Todd and Patti for their help.  As a matter of fact, Todd would like me to put it out there, if anyone can donate scrap wood, he can make them shelters.  This one is beautiful.

Three of the five kittens were brought to their new homes!  Willow, Ziggy and Rusty!  Willow and Ziggy were adopted by a wonderful family who came to the event held at West Elm on November 26th.  I am so grateful they came through those doors and met the kittens.  Their family consists of Mom, Dad, and two beautiful children, a sweet girl and a sweet boy.  I pulled up to their house Saturday morning and the little boy was in the window, obviously anxiously awaiting the kittens arrival.  I could just imagine hearing the squeals of delight he made as I got out of the car, and held up the carrier with kittens in it.  After sitting with them for a while, making sure all was good, I left the first of the Zuber Farm babies behind, as I have done with so many other cats and kittens before.  I always have a tear in my eye as I drive away, and a prayer in my heart that all will be well for them.

Rusty was adopted by Melissa, who is my feral kitty guru.  One of her cats passed last year while on vacation, and she had waited for just the right kitty to come along so that she could spoil and love.  I have no doubt Rusty is in very good hands.

Now we have Maize and Toebe left, and we must get them adopted!  I would love to see them go together!  We also still have Izzy and Butterball!  Lets get them going into new homes!

UPDATE:


Carmel Today

Wanted to share an update on Pierre and Carmel.  As you will recall, I rescued them earlier this year from the streets.  Here is the post on Carmel when I got her.  And above is her today!



THURSDAY, JUNE 1, 2017

Please Be a Responsible Adult - SPAY AND NEUTER A CAT!

Carmel
Meet Carmel - barefoot and pregnant.  Carmel is being spayed this morning.  Carmel showed up at my Central location a few days ago.  I began to place a dish down for her by the side of the road, and it took two mornings for her to trust me enough to get close to me.  Keep in mind, its dark out still. She got close enough this morning for me to scruff her by the neck - gently of course - and then feel under her belly.  Milk ducts.  I carried her to the carrier I always carry in the back of the Jeep, and off she went to my bathroom.  Upon examination, she is a very young cat.  I'll bet under a year old.   It is fairly common for a cat to have its first estrus period between four and six months of age, and to give birth as early as at six or seven months. This situation is rife with potential for disaster, both to the survival of the mother cat, and to any kittens that live

CARMEL

Very young cats and very old cats rarely enjoy the kind of physical condition that would warrant allowing them to give birth.  Birthing and nursing a litter of kittens would easily take their last ounce of strength, and could kill them. This truth is even more evident in the case of pregnant strays, who may have already borne dozens of litters of kittens.  A female cat is capable of bearing at least three litters of kittens each year. The kindest and most compassionate action anyone could take with one of these cats is to spay/abort her.

We have an enormous cat overpopulation problem, primarily caused by cat owners' failure to spay or neuter their cats. Often the pregnant cats are thrown out on the street, where they and their surviving kittens continue to mate, and the offspring from those matings continue to mate. The reality is that a pregnant female cat and her descendants can account for the births of several hundred kittens in just a few years.

This year's kitten crop will be responsible for the deaths of last year's kittens, or older cats, at shelters. There isn't enough space to house them all, and something's gotta give. It's a matter of supply and demand. In a world that loves kittens, kittens are a dime a dozen.

Spaying a pregnant rescued cat will help prevent the deaths of living cats and kittens. Even though a pregnant female cat might be adopted by the finder, with good homes waiting for her kittens, each of those kittens will indirectly be responsible for the death of a shelter cat or kitten that might have been adopted into one of those homes.

Carmel is a beautiful young girl, and will make a very nice companion for a very nice family.  It was not my intention to rescue another cat this morning, but what choice did I really have?  There are still so many out there that have been waiting for me, I've promised them, but I had no choice.  She is too sweet to put back out on these dangerous streets.  Looking for a foster for her! 

PS, Carmel is GORGEOUS.  Reddish Autumn color w/Tabby and Bengal markings.  GORGEOUS.

On a GREAT note, one of the potential kitten adopters saw Pierre's picture, and wants to adopt him!  WOO HOO!!


Pierre Le Peu


Pierre today:

Pierre Today

So thankful to my adopters!  I love you all!

"We must let go of the life we have
planned, so as to accept the one
that is waiting for us."


3 comments:

  1. Hey J !
    Wasnt Pringles a BOY ?
    I made him a hot stud male in my book !
    Did I get it wrong ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for your friends who paid Mary Leigh a visit! Let's pray she takes it seriously.

    I'm loving all the updates and stories on kitties you've adopted out. Most of them I remember, but you've rescued so many I lose track, which is amazing.
    My two monsters are doing their best to make sure Santa Paws doesn't stop at our house this year! Boy are they on his naughty list. They are now five years old and have just discovered how fun the Christmas tree is. Pumpkin has been up it twice and Charley fell into it yesterday when he slipped off a shelf on the wall. He was trying to reach an ornament to jingle the bell in it and slipped! It was hilarious. He's fine and wasn't even scared. However, the tree is starting to look a little disheveled from us having to rearrange the light strands every time the cats drag them down as they slide down the tree to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mary Leigh story really bothered me... I am so happy to hear the news!

    ReplyDelete