Friday, September 29, 2017

TGIF

Nothing to note the past few days, except I spotted the calico kitten in one of my shelters under the bench on Baldwin.  Sweet little thing.  Scared.  I could have blocked it in the shelter, but it would have been too hard to do.  I had set traps there earlier, but one of the kitten traps does not work, and someone got into it and ate the food without tripping it, and a full size cat got into the other and took up the entire trap.  I let it out, poured the regular food in the bowls feeling hopeless not being able to get the kitten, and that is when I spotted kitten in the shelter.  I will continue to set a trap there every day until I can get this little kitten before it turns completely feral.

I also want to put out a call for help in soliciting for gift cards/wine tour/beer tasting tours/flights.  Perhaps when you go to a restaurant or bar, you can ask if they are willing to donate toward my cause.  I am really feeling the effects of all the medical issues that the 100+ cats and kittens I've rescued have had and the vet bills accumulated from them since the early spring.  People don't realize that the adoption fee is a minimum of what I've spent vetting them.  I just know that the more raffle items I have at my fundraiser, the more I will have to help continue feeding and vetting these cats.  They are waiting for me each day.  Just this morning, a skunk was in the shelter on Short Street.  After shining the light at it, and making some noise to get it to come out, it began to hiss, and turning its butt toward me.  I backed off, and told Sam, Mr. Whiskers and Big Red that I would be back.  When I did come back, I realized that if I hadn't, they would not eat that day.  The only things I have going for me is my health, and food to feed them.  Without donations, I can't feed them.

I attach the flier here again, if this is something you might need to bring to establishments when asking if they will donate.  Thank you again for all you do, and for those that have already dropped off items or gift cards.

Its springtime in Australia and my friend Jen sent me some pictures of the flowers beginning to bloom in her yard.  And I just love the fact that these birds just fly around everywhere too!  :)




To end this week, I want to share with you what I received from the girl that adopted Dasher earlier this year.  Dasher, an adult cat, was rescued from Parsells, after I had been feeding him for a while on the rat infested porch of the vacant house where I've rescued so many cats and kittens - most recently Jose - prior to that Nugget, and have TNR'd so many cats.  He was friendly, yet had an attitude - he had to defend himself on the streets and didn't trust me from the other cats he had to stand up to.  Here is what his new mom as to say - remember, she renamed him Bogart, and he joined a canine sister Garbo when she and her husband adopted him.

Dasher fresh off the streets

"Have I told you lately how much I love this little guy Bogie?!?! He is so much fun to have around. We have had several people tell us how lucky we are to have gotten such a cool cat, because he is so friendly with everyone he meets. We were away for 5 days recently and had a house sitter stay here, and he loved hanging out with her but he was extra clingy and affectionate when we got home. We have our little playtime routines with him, and each of us plays with him differently. He knows he can play rough with Craig but gentle with me. And without fail every night he jumps up and has to curl up between my legs or on the side of me, but has to have his head or feet touching me. It just melts my heart. I never thought I could love a cat as much as I love him. He and Garbo have a great dynamic together now. There is no more tension, and they actually play a little bit together and once in a while curl up close to each other. It's so funny to watch him chase her through the house. I just wanted to give you an update. Someday we may get another so Bogie can have another feline companion, but right now all is peaceful and calm here and I want it to stay this way for a while. Thank you for bringing him into our lives!"


"Dear God,
if today I lose my hope, 
please remind
me that your
plans are better
than my dreams."

1 comment:

  1. Dear Janine,
    Thank you for the update on Dasher, and for the closing prayer. I needed to hear both today. You are amazing! You always manage to find a silver lining. Thanks.
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete