Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Fly Free Sweet Babe...


Jamie not Janie.  Black kitten TNR'd yesterday back to Mom's was a BOY.  So his name is Jamie, not Janie.  :)  Now must get his siblings fixed.  :(

I had an incredibly sad start to my morning.  I got through all 20 or so of my stops, a few unplanned stops when spotting a cat crossing a street up ahead, without incident - and again, this woman took my bowls away at the location where notes were exchanged yesterday - can't wait to catch her....  I arrived at Central and Second to feed the five or six cats that greet me.  I rescued Carter from there last year.  I always notice who is around, as this is a busy street for people because of the bootlegger's house on the corner...  this is where they can buy cigarettes, booze, beer, and God knows what else, at all hours of the night.  You just go up to the window and knock on it.  Anyway, there was a guy sitting on the steps just a short way down from where I feed.  I noticed him.  I got out, went over to place the food for the kitties which now include two kittens that I haven't had time to try to catch, but are getting closer and closer.  As I was pouring the food, I heard a soft moaning ..  I looked into one of the shelters and I saw a cat.  I jumped up, knowing there was something wrong.  I started to disassemble the shelter area, and saw the man over to my right on the sidewalk.  I went to get my carrier, not knowing what my plan was.  Instinct told me - ask him for help!  I did, he could barely speak English.  I had to describe the problem using my hands.  Gateau (I think that is cat in Spanish) and other gestures to let him know what I needed.  I asked him to help me move the boards that were piled on top of the shelters so I could get the cat.  He was very helpful and kind.  I lifted the shelter and kitty was not moving.  I thought it had died, but then heard the moans again.  I got it into my car with the hole in the tote facing up in case he all of the sudden bolted.  I thanked the man and gave him a hug. He tried to sell me something - in Spanish - and I could tell he was only asking for five dollars.  I told him if I had it, I would just give it to him.  Especially if only for his kindness.  There are good people in the world.  Some are just unfortunate because of the paths they chose, or the paths that were chosen for them by the people that raised them, and some just need a break to begin anew.

Little kitten was brought to the emergency clinic where they had to cut the shelter apart to get to him. Upon examination, we were informed that his mouth was full of ulcers, it looked as if he had a mass in his stomach, likely a tumor.  They determined he was in such extreme pain, which was causing his lameness.  He was euthanized at my request.  Poor little baby sweet dreams go straight up to heaven where you will never have pain again...



Its tough.

Have a good day.

"It's a mercy that we are granted the ability to
end suffering.  It is a moment we are given.  To
decide to let go and give them a chance to go
without suffering.  Yet, it is always the hardest
thing we do.  It is a mercy and a curse."


4 comments:

  1. Thank you Janine for caring...
    Thank you for finding him ...
    Thank you for overcoming a fear of asking a stranger for assistance ...
    Thank you for helping this little lost soul find his way over the bridge ...
    I am sure this little guy will be in the crowd that greets you when you finally have to cross over that bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joel, such beautiful thoughts n so beautifully expressed

      Delete
  2. oh my god, that is just heart wrenching. My heart aches for that poor sweet baby that was suffering. Thank god he had your shelter to at least protect him. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you to see him suffering. It is good to know he is not suffering any longer thanks to you and that kind man. I wish he could have known love and warmth and happiness. Thank you for being the one person in the world who was there for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear km , I have s sense u have been a source of encouragement for Janine for a long time. Thank u for your beautiful n loving thoughts

      Delete