Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

It was NOT a quiet morning for me.

First off, I rescued this little black fella from Niagara.  I had a gut feeling that he was too sweet to return him to this hellhole on Niagara behind the Rochester Clutch and Brake place.  There are already close to seven cats here that have had their shelters removed.  I still don't know what I will do come wintertime.  Right now I am just feeding them all behind the building, on the ground, no shelter.  Its sickening.  I couldn't survive the day (I know, I am quite the drama queen) if I didn't have a few people offer to help out with him.  Thank you.  My friend and supporter Toni has offered to foster him until we can get him adopted.  She has someone in mind who may be interested.  I think for now I will name him Sebastian...!  This is my 90 something rescue for the year!


SEBASTIAN!


This little black girl didn't fare so well.  I named her Pamela, after Parsells Avenue of course.  She was pregnant.  Now she's not.  I had to return her this morning, and it was heartbreaking.

PARSELLS PAMELA - TNR

I also had to release this pretty grey boy after he was neutered yesterday.  I released him back to the Central Park colony I feed at.  Fare well my sweet boy...

CENTRAL GREY BOY TNR
So I was at the Parsells location this morning, where I recently rescued Nugget (releasing the pregnant black female), and across the street I saw a man watching from the house.  After releasing, and pouring the food (and I did not see the tabby kitten I saw yesterday), I walked over and said good morning!  We had a conversation, basically he didn't want me feeding there because of rats.  I gave him lots of information, and what I was trying to do in the neighborhoods, but he was adamant.  Kind, but adamant.  His statement was - if you are feeding these cats, they won't want to eat the rats.  What do I say about that?  I told him that most of the cats on this street were cats that were kicked out of their houses because they were spraying, etc. and the cats had human contact already, people that fed them.  I told him that I was trying to reduce the population, and rescue those that I could.  I told him that the feral cats will go after the rats, but not the ones abandoned by the people on the street.  I told him that his street was one of the worst I've ever seen - and I've been doing this on this street for way over 10 years now.  I need good information for ammo for the next time.  Help.

And at my second Parsells stop, just after that encounter, the nice family that live above in the two story house where I have shelters in the bushes – feeding the few cats left there after the big sweep in the spring time (due to the man next door that bought the property and told me not to feed there anymore) – asked me to move the shelters because of the raccoons.  And that they were afraid of them.  They said they are there almost every day eating the food.  Well, so are the old cats that are still there, and the new kittens.  I asked her to give me until Saturday when I had some help.  Saturday Sheryl.  After that, I don’t know what I will do.  I will have to stop feeding these cats.  Its going to kill me.  There is no where else to go.  I will continue to try to call for them from the lot behind the house on Melville Street.  That’s all I can do.

So speaking of Melville, the house where I rescued Marshmallow, Itsy and Bitsy (which by the way Bitsy is now 'coughing' and he has to be seen by a vet...  its never ending), where I am still feeding the mom and a white cat under the tree…  I was confronted by a man this morning who ‘caught’ me pouring food down.  He went on to state that the momma cat was his mother’s cat.  We got to talking, I told him I rescued her babies, that I had mom spayed and all her shots, etc. , told him what I was doing, and we laughed, and I said phew!  I was so worried about her come winter, and now I have one less stop to make in the morning!  He wants me to meet his mother, and I am going to leave my card with them tomorrow morning.  We hugged!  We went from confrontation to hugging!

So things didn’t turn out so bad after all.

That was my morning, and how was yours?


Have a great day.





4 comments:

  1. It is terrible (I think) that people think domestic cats who are homeless should be denied food so that they will eat rats. The rats are there due to the messes that humans make. The cats are there due to human indifference and cruelty. To then pit them against each other so that their numbers stay in check is disgusting and lazy and ignorant. Clean up your messes and there will not be rats. Take care of your pets and there will not be stray cats. To a person who doesn't want you feeding the cats so they will be hungry enough to kill and eat rats, I would explain this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with KM. Tell this individual that you only feed there 1x a day. The rats didn't hitch a ride in because of your food. They moved in because of the filth left behind from the sloths that live around there. The rats aren't hanging around when the cats are there. My cats are well taken care of and when they see anything move(mouse, fly, ant, bird outside, etc) they want to chase it. I doubt the cats living there are pals with the rats and not chasing them away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey J !
    More facts you can arm yourself with :
    1. Domesticated cats (cats that once lived with and were fed by humans) will not hunt rats. Rats are too big and fast for a domestic cat to catch. Plus the risk the cat will be injured before making the kill are too great for the cat to expend the energy to do it. Domestic cats will hunt and eat smaller game like mice, bugs, small birds.
    A cat must weigh between 10 - 15 pounds before its large enough to hunt rats. Most domestic strays weigh between 6 and 10 pounds.
    2. The cat food you pour gets eaten quickly by the cats that come to feed, and is gone in a few hours. The rats do not get a chance to eat the food unless something scares the cats away long enough for the rats to smell it and find it.
    3. You must be allowed to feed the cats long enough for you to complete the TNR and transfer out of any adoptable's. This mat take several months. Emphasize that the local population is DECREASING the whole time you are allowed to do this at the location.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know if city cats are different, but barn cats I have dealt with killed the rats right near the food dishes, which made it easier for the cats to find and kill the rats. But they did not eat the rats, they must taste nasty!

    ReplyDelete