Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Little Too Close for Comfort

CHIP looking very scholarly

PAISLEY and DAISY
So, a recap of this long wonderful holiday weekend.  On Friday, my day off, I delivered three little babies.  And boy do I miss them.  Little Chip, Daisy and Paisley went to their new homes.  I’ve received some good follow-ups, but I still miss them.  Thank God I still have little Nugget and Fudgie to keep my kitten craving at bay.

FUDGIE

NUGGET! - Going in for neutering this morning!

I also kitten sat for Taco this weekend!  My neighbors, Taco’s daddies Brendan and Noel went out of town, and I offered to keep Taco as Fudgie’s playmate.  They had a BLAST.  I have to give him up today, but it sure was nice to have him under my thumb again.  He has grown so big already!

TACO!



Saturday morning, I was feeling a bit under the weather, and could barely sit up, but thank God for Super Sunday Sheryl, who arrived, and did the feedings for me.  I drove, but could barely keep my eyes on the road as I was turning blue and green behind the wheel.  You have to remember, I NEVER get sick, and the one other time I remember feeling like I was going to, I still drove out myself and did it.  And it was a very long hour and a half doing it.  Thank God for Sheryl!  She got out a gazillion times to pour food and water at the 18, 19, or 20 locations that I go to to feed the hungry cats. 

Sunday morning I picked up another beautiful black and white kitty on the road.  Dead. Placed the little one under a bush wrapped in a warm clean towel.  Otherwise the morning was a blur, nothing unusual, but just so many needy and hungry cats out there.  Its just so hard, and sad, to see, and then drive away from, leaving them there.  I must get more people willing to foster these animals.  It doesn’t take much, just time and patience.  Fostering could take days, months, or a year possibly, but the time DOES come!  Where you will have to say goodbye, and hopefully soon after, be ready to SAVE ANOTHER LIFE!

The excitement of the weekend came on Monday morning, at 4 am.  I was on Melville, doing my thing, at three of my locations there, and in the middle, I hurried to place the food and water down for the mama cat of Marshmallow, Itsy and Bitsy, under the tree, because I could hear a party happening right past the car that was blocking the view from me.  I knew someone would see me, and I couldn’t have that.  Whoever lives in the house in front of the tree keeps removing the plates I place, so they obviously don’t have a lot of compassion for this sweet girl, or the pure white cat that comes running each morning to gobble up the food I place for him as well.  These two cats I MUST get off the streets before winter.  There is nothing I can do for them come snowfall.  I will not be able to place food down, nor give them the proper shelter they need.

As I drove off to the next spot, which basically is the vacant house porch, and lot behind it, and four houses down from here (and no, kitty mama will not come down here, she sleeps on the porch chair of the house with the tree that I place the food down at), as I was pouring the food into the dish, I heard a loud bang.  Not believing my ears, I then heard a girl shout something.  I then heard five or six more bangs, now realizing that they were gunshots.  I quickly made my way to the jeep and dialed 911 and reported it. As I was dialing, I saw in my rear view mirror that cars were coming my way, one didn’t have its headlights on, and others were moving quickly down the road.  I gave as much detail as I could, and headed out of there, a bit shaken.  Now I’ve heard gunshots over the years in these neighborhoods, but from quite the distance. 

I drove back after a few more stops to make sure police showed up, and sure enough they did. I told them I reported it, they took more information from me, and after I asked if anyone was hurt, they responded no, and off I went.  It was a freak occurrence that happened.  But what gets me is that I used to think Central Park area was the dangerous area.  Now I believe Melville is more dangerous.  Its not the first shooting that has happened on this street this year. 

But I continue to plug away.  Those cats are hungry and need me.  I just hope HE is watching over me!

Yesterday I had the pleasure of being in the company of these beautiful German Shepards - along with their mom and pop (who adopted ERNIE!)  :)  




This morning was TNR Tuesday.  I set a trap on Parsells #1 spot, drove off to set another on Ferndale Crescent and Webster and continued on my rounds.  Nothing was happening at the Parsells spot so I left trap there, went off and checked on Ferndale trap.  Nothing.  Picked up and drove off across Goodman and set a trap at the Central and Fifth location.  At Niagara, an older black kitty showed up, hungry, he’s come around quite a few times now, and is not afraid.  This was my chance.   I knew my chances of trapping were not high because both locations, the kitties are smart, and there are not a lot of unaltered cats that I know of at the other two locations where the trap was set.  I grabbed the carrier, felt in back of the cat – yup, sure enough, an altered male, and grabbed him by scruff and placed in carrier.  OK, so lets get back to Central.  Check on trap.  Voila, got a grey kitty.  Now praying nothing in trap back on Parsells as I am only allowed two spots each week and I had my quote.  Yup, wouldn’t ya know it.  Black kitty in that trap.  Uggh.  $180 for today.  Ca CHING.  L  But guess what, after trap was placed in jeep and I was going to place food down at this last location, lo and behold, a little five or six month tabby kitten.   I didn’t have anything to put him in!  I pray he is there tomorrow.  He even let me pick him up!  L

I did not get their pictures!  :(  The older black kitty would probably be adoptable, and the other is black, could be a girl.  The other is grey.  Will get their pictures if I can after they return from the clinic to my porch for the evening - this blog sort of documents all of my rescues and TNRs and I like to keep pictures!

BAYLEE's Selfie!
My sweet Baylee, rescued from Bay Street last year - who has breathing issues, is going to be sedated at Caring for Cats today to find out what the hole is inside his mouth that the doctor saw the last visit a few weeks back.  Prayers for Baylee.  He has lost a ton of weight in the past few weeks too.  :(

If anyone has any straw, I could sure use ONE bale.  One bale of STRAW will last me the winter.  That’s on the top of my wish list.   OH!  And black or brown spray paint for Styrofoam boxes to be carved out and made as shelters. 


Thanks all, and have a great day!

"You can do anything, but not everything."

1 comment:

  1. Gunshots !
    Please be careful !
    We dont wanna have to visit you in the hospital - or god forbid - have to go to a funeral !
    :O

    ReplyDelete