Monday, February 17, 2014

Coccles of my Heart

Saturday morning - another three inches of snow.
 
Central Location

Baldwin Location
 
Sunday morning - another three inches of snow.
 
Pennsylvania & Fourth Location (click on pic to see four cats!)


Short Location (click on pic to see the kitty peering around the corner!)
 
This morning I went to the tractor trailor supply store to get my mother some dried corn cob for her starving deer and bird seed for my birdies, and to feed the squirrels that are obviouslyhungry this winter, and the guy at the checkout asked me if I wanted to contribute to the farmers fund.  I thought, ok, I will let this go, but if anyone knows me, I am not one to let things go, so immediately I told him what I do every single day of my life and he, I am sure, regretted asking me.  I then apologized and felt like a fool, but told him  I would if I could, but that I was just trying to make ends meet on my part, and that was that.  I was saddened to think that I couldn't contribute to anthing else but myself.
 
Monday morning - another inch of snow, temperature ZERO.
 
If I just had one bag of 18 pounds donated to me each day of dry cat food, it would make my life so much easier.  And by that I mean when every signle morning of mylife,. I get up at 4 am. to head out into the inner city to feed over 50 vey needy and desperate animals, it would makle my journey so much easier.  I can't tell you how hard it is to drive to, stop at 16 locastions every single morning, pack my vest with a clean dry towel, fill five canisters of wet food, and four bags of dry food
(20 pounds), finagle a dying flashlight (that by the way was meant to fit on your head, but it was just more practical for me to sling around my neck), sludge through the snow, bend over, squat, kneel down, a good workout I might add, but oh how hard it is.  My grocery bill is outrageous, and I have a single on the lower scale income.  I feel sorry for myself on occasion, and this is one of them.


Mr. Whiskers from Sixth PRE-RESCUE

Little Red from Webster PRE-RESCUE

Mr. Whiskers & Little Red TODAY

This is the stuff that melts my heart.  Seeing pictures like this.  The Before and After pictures.  The hard case stories of feeding these cats that you just know shouldn't be out there, the ones you just know that they are strays, abandoned, and need to be rescued off the mean streets they've been living on.  These two cats came from completely different neighborhoods - not too far away, but across busy intersections, and wound up together - mates for life.  Thank you Nancy, for taking in these two, along with so many others, two of which are in heaven now.

Big Red WOUNDED

Big Red from Garson PRE-RESCUE
Big Red TODAY

Big Red (Sandy) & Monkey

Monkey Girl from Second PRE-RESCUE
Monkey Girl TODAY

Then there is Big Red and Little Monkey Girl.  Big Red was from Garson Avenue, and I fed this boy for years, and finally after seeing him injured after the hard life he lived on the streets, I rescued him.  Then there was Monkey Girl, with the curly tail that cried and cried each morning when I pulled up on Second, and I finally was able to scoop her up, telling her this was no where for a sweet young lady like herself to be living. Monkey and Sandy are now the best of pals.  Thank you Maree for opening up your heart and home to them!

There are hundreds more stories just like this.  That me, little old me, did all by myself.  I rescued these pitiful animals and found homes for them!  I don't hear from all my adopters, which saddens me - some just don't want to keep in contact, so I can only hope the kitties are all happy and healthy and living life in a warm and loving home.  I will continue to share these stories with you.

Have a great day, and please spread the word...  I have four cats that all need homes, so that I can rescue more.  Lenny.  Fraser, Teddy and Calvin.






4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the before and after photos Janine. It must make you so proud - you did this - you did! It's warming up this week - good news for the kitties! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all those pics Janine,Big Red and Monkey, the best looking of them all ! I too have days where I feel defeated in what I do and am also on the feeding of wild animals in the winter ,bottomless money pit, only one income house hold puts pressure on the c.card payment deadline and it is soon over the limit, I hate that tug of war with it. TSC used to have a money box for HFC at the register but I havent seen it lately and let HFC do a promotion there, so it goes back to the same persons/business's doing most of the work dosent it ? Recruiting new interest, support is an endless task, and this blog has drawn more interest and awarness of the cats that have no one else but you working to get care and support for them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Janine...you are not "contributing to yourself"...you are buying food for needy, hungry, neglected animals. It's not like you were at Macy's buying an expensive pair of shoes. If people are going to openly ask you for money then they should be prepared to openly hear your story. You needn't ever feel guilty that you cannot contribute more to charity...you contribute every single day...of your time, your money, your energy and your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember all those rescues! I love hearing the Happy Ending stories. That first photo is breaking my heart though. That kitty doesn't look very old and it has a freakin flea collar on. I'm worried it's too tight. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete