Friday, February 14, 2014

Four Legged Friends...

If you can believe it, its snowed again over night, dumping at least another four inches.  Shoveable today, but I forgot the shovel.  So I shuffled the snow from side to side as best as I could.  The only good news about today's weather is its in the 20s, compared to the zeros it has been all winter.  Its always harder for me each morning when its snowing.  I have to change nearly all the towels, and juggle the towel, water, dry food, wet food container, and the half dead flashlight around my neck.  I wish I had someone just to stand over me at each of my spots just shining the light down on what I am doing.  It would help so much.
 
At a few of my spots, I noticed unusual happenings.  At the Stout location, someone piled up a ton of large, flattened cardboard at the entrance to under the porch where Mr. Black Kitty resides.  I don't know whats up with that.  I know for sure if I didn't have to go under there each day to place new food after I shake out the rug and towel each morning filled with straw, it would be an ideal windbreaker, but I really don't get it.  Wish I had my camera. (do you know how many times I've said that?)  At the Short location, inside where Milly and Morgan hang, some animal must have dug up a ton of dirt.  Maybe some of my animal knowledgeable friends can fill me in on what type of animal digs up the dirt like that.  Its also happened at my 2nd Parsells location.
 

Now onto another kind of animal. 

I’ll admit it, I like dogs just as much as cats.  But because there aren’t many dogs out running wild in the streets, I rescue and feed cats.  But on occasion I have been known to rescue a dog or two (Banjo), and or attend a cruelty hearing on behalf of a dog.  I sure do miss my dog Thunder, who recently passed six months or so, on his 10th birthday.  They define unconditional love; a pal, a buddy who misses you as much for the few minutes you go out to take the trash out as he does if you’re gone for a week.

They don't get mad or try to get back at you if you forget to feed him or if you ignore him, and they’ll sit at your feet or cuddle with you with no need for commitment.  They smile and sometimes look sad, but they always loves you.  Thunder came to us when he was four years old, after not having had the best life he could have being cramped in a house with 30+ cats, and other large dogs.  He bit my finger the first time I met him.  We decided to give him a weekend getaway, and he never went back.



Older dogs make it easy for you to love them.  They think you’re brilliant, even if you’re not. They become vulnerable, show gratitude, trust and they are funny in new and different ways!  They make us smile when we are down.  They understand what we are talking about, especially when they are the topic of conversation!  They are smart, and forever friends, and I miss having a dog.  Oh well, down the road I will get another baby that desperately needs saving from a shelter.
 
In the meantime, I will continue to maul my cats the way I would have with my Thunder.

Have a GREAT weekend!  TGIF!

PS, Happy Valentines Day!


 

3 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day Janine! So true about animal love! They can change your mood and make you laugh in a second! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a headlamp would help! If it wouldnt mess up your hair, that is!!
    Post a picture of the dug up dirt and maybe I can guess. Was it digging spilled food or digging under a building or porch?? Was there any crumbled food left nearby? If so, was it large chunks like rechewed pieces? If that, then possum. If water dirty and diet dug up getting food pieces, then racoon. Those are my only guesses!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing one of those hats with a light on it like a miners hat, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete