Friday, November 30, 2012

Here We Go Again

Last evening I got home from work to find three cats on the porch, all in carriers, all frightened and out of sorts. I knew it would be a long night for them, and for me. I immediately got changed and set about getting some food into their small carriers so they could eat. They hadn’t eaten since the previous morning, so I am sure they were starving. Yet, despite that, they did not eat. I’ve noticed over time that some of them will gobble the food down, usually after you leave them alone, and some don’t. They are just too traumatized. They were successfully, and very sadly, released back to their respective homes on the streets this morning.


Drumroll please ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the white kitty that I thought was pregnant?? Turns out is a male! This was the second time I was wrong about that. I think I am losing my touch, if you know what I mean! How embarrassing! My only defense is that I have been feeding this kitty on and off for quite awhile, and as they all do eventually, its come to trust me enough to get close to me but that was only on Tuesday, when I felt its belly and it was hard and felt like it had babies in there! And TNR Thursday came around and it was only natural to want to get kitty off the street if that was the case, so she/he was trapped! I found out a few hours later that it was a male. SO embarrassing. Oh well!


TOONCES

After I went in to see my own brood, I noticed my baby girl Toonces was doing too well. She was very wobbly, her beautiful furry skin is hanging and her eyes have sunk. I thought she was going to go during the night, and closed her in a bedroom, but as I lay in bed thinking about her, I went and got her and brought her up with me, where she stayed by my pillow all night. My girl has been with me for nearly 16 years after having been found as a baby kitten after some truckers spotted her running around in the Wegmans warehouse parking lot on Brooks Avenue. As she got older, she was a very independent girl and never liked to be held. As she got older, she was a little more tolerant, but still feisty and independent.


TOONCIE

I made the appointment for 3 pm. today. I still question my decision on this each and every time. I don't really see obvious signs of pain (screaming, moaning, writhing, restlessness, etc.). There is no playing, no exploring, no interaction with the other cats or dog, or people. She wants to eat, but is only licking at her wet food. She just lays, and cries occasionally. She has no energy -- she's wasting away, burning up her body fat and muscle tissue just to stay alive. Just breathing is taking all she's got. Is this enough? I know in my heart that it is, I don't want her to die a slow painful death, but it is still so hard. I feel like because she is still alert and moving around, I shouldn't have her put down. But then again I don't want to wait until she has nothing left in her. I feel she deserves better than that. She's been there for me for over 15 years and I need to be there for her too. She is at one end of the bridge right now, waiting for her turn to cross.

I end this asking for your help in saying a little extra prayer to St. Jude, and St. Francis of Assisi, for the help in finding the lost cat of my friend Donna, who recently adopted my little Puddles, now named Montego. Here is a picture of Paco, who has been missing since Friday from Slocum Road in Ontario. I can imagine the pain they are going through at this moment because I've been there.  I wish you a safe weekend.



2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your pending loss Janine. So sad. I can't imagine when we lose our dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaww, thats sad news for your toonces kitty, it never gets any easier....you love her. I like your mis interpretation of the white cat that was neutered yesterday, thats always a good "error" of judgement where pregnant kittys are concerned. Good trapping girls, and thank you for doing this, it keeps me going forward with the TNR project, for the love of these neglected creatures that deserve better.

    ReplyDelete