Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Whereever Fear Exists, Courage Can be Found


I like that saying, it holds true for me each morning when I venture out in the dark, into some pretty seedy neighborhoods.  I don't know where I get the courage to do what I do - was I a brave little girl?  Was I a risk taker growing up?  I can't remember specific events that long ago, but I am sure there were some adventuresome stories that could be told by family and friends of glory days gone by.

I am sure you are all dying to know about Talkie.  Talkie was trapped in the upstairs of a house that had no windows, but the downstairs was all securely boarded, so not sure how she got into the house in the first place.  But she did, and yesterday morning, while I stood down below she made many attempts to jump out of the second floor window. I finally had to give up and get going to get ready for work, but I made a call to my cop friend and all the way from Georgia, where she had just arrived for a cop conference or something or other, she told me she would see what she could do. She wound up not being able to help much from that distance, although not without saying she would have done it herself if she were in Rochester. I then drove over when I got out of work with a ladder, but thankfully, Talkie made it out! I called for her and she did not come to the window, and was not anywhere to be seen, but I trusted she made it out and that I would hopefully see her in the morning. Before leaving, I spotted another very pretty fluffy white and red young kitty that was eating out of a garbage bag on the sidewalk. I walked slowly up to it, and she came slowly over to me. I felt her belly, and she didn’t feel pregnant, but she also felt like she had already had a litter. She is hopefully next on my list. Maybe this Thursday, when we trap again.  Forgot to tell you, Talkie was there this morning, waiting for her breakfast!  :)

At the Ferndale and Webster location, my makeshift shelter that I had to quickly concoct yesterday morning after discovering someone had disassembled the structure my friend Kristin and I built (and crazy Marilee helped with also!) was still standing, but with the windstorm we had yesterday, and the rain, the board had blown over. I fixed it up again, with a towel to lay on for some comfort, and left a note that read the following: “Please – these cats have no where to go, no where to hide. Please leave this pathetic shelter alone for the winter.” There are three or four cats waiting there each morning, so sad that their home is being trashed each day.

I leave you with pictures of Big Red, now named Sandy. My heart swells each time I see his picture, because from where he came from to where he is now, I just know that if a cat could talk, he would say ‘thank you’ to me for rescuing him off the street after all these years, and ‘I love you’ to his new mommy and daddy, Maree and Joe, who so kindly took him in and gave him a warm and loving environment to live his remaining years.



Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. So relieved about "Talkie", I hate to think of what could have happened to her...Boy oh boy, that "big red" is a handsome kitty !!! the best looking of them all, dontcha think ? I would love to just remove the kittys from that awful Ferndale address, how much longer can they be safe from the unbalanced person who is taking pleasure in doing this to the cats ? I know it is a huge worry for you Janine, your followers too, what can we do to change this ? if the answer to this is to work harder at finding them a home, I dont know what to say, as it is, I marvel at how many homes you relocate the kittys to, it's not like you are a big organisation with publicity, power and money to get things done..already some cats have disappeared from this location hav'nt they ? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine! Big Red is SO happy! And I am so happy for him. He looks like he is loving, loving, loving his new home. Bless them and you! I am glad the shelter made it through the night - we'll have to figure something out for that spot. And I had a feeling Talkie would be there this morning. :)
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Janine, I'm so happy for Big Red (now named Sandy). It's wonderful to see the photos and to know he's in a warm, loving, safe environment after all these years -a happy guy! Very glad Talkie was back this A.M. and I hope all goes well with fluffy white kitty.

    ReplyDelete