Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thats the Plan Stan

Stan is my father's name, and he passed away when I was very young.  Plan is not a word that rolls off the tongue very easily for me.   Ask my mother, I am the WORST.  If someone instructs me the day before that I need to do something, thats good.  And if that someone instructs me the day OF to do what I need to do, thats even better.  I am an organized person in many respects, but when it comes to TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return), its not pretty.  I did, however, trap two kitties this morning, and with the help of Laura, they will be going to Lollipop for neutering and will be returned to me this afternoon where I will have to return them back to the streets.  Pictured below are what I trapped this morning.  The first, on Hayward, is a real sweetheart.  As you know, I've mentioned that there is a mother cat that is producing.  I rescued Butters/Thurston from here three months ago.  I am not sure if this is the mother, or if this is even a female, but she is very friendly, but also very unhappy right now!  The next two pictures are of a kitty I picked up on Pennsylvania.  Looks like a female, very pretty tortoise!



So getting back to planning, and organizing, I am totally helpless with this TNR'g stuff.  I place the trap down haphazardly at spots where I think I can get a kitty.  I do leave less food at these spots the day before, but when I actually head out in the morning, my spots are so spread apart in distance, that it becomes complicated in my own mind.  You have to remember, I am trying to place food down at 14 shelters.  So that means, if I am allowed three cats to TNR, Laura tries for one, and I have responsibility for two.  So that means at the spot where Laura will try to trap, I don't go near there, and depend on Laura to leave food there after she is done trapping for the remaining cats at that location.  For me, I am runing around like a chicken with its head  - no, I won't use that expression - too graphic, and too real!  I wind up driving back and forth to spots and by this time, its a 20 minute longer morning for me out there trying to trap and feed at the same time.  I guess you would have to be in my shoes to know what I mean, but again, if I had two people who could each go early and set the trap, sit there and wait with it, that would be great.  Because then I would come along and put food down and leave after the cat has been trapped.  Instead, I am setting the trap, and driving to another spot to feed, and having to drive back to see if a cat is in the trap, and if it isn't, I have to worry that I might not get a cat at that spot and wonder if I should move it to another location, and one that I've probably already fed at, so that won't work, so I do what I did this morning and placed the trap at a location that I don't even feed at, and sure enough a kitty went in while I was out driving around!

This might be mind-boggling to some of you, and it is to me, believe me.  I HATE to trap, but it must be done.  HATE it.  I HATE having to release sweet kitties back out into the streets to fight for their lives.  HATE it.  But it must be done.  I just wish I had more people to help!  Which makes me ever so grateful again to Laura, who continually helps me out.  So, two less baby makers on the streets as of today!

I took the following pictures of different spots this morning.  I didn't see sweet Morris, who I am desperately trying to find a home for - this is where he is usually - I moved his and black kitty's stuff inside a garage of a boarded up house near Grand the morning before Hurricane Sandy visited us:
:


The picture above is another shelter, the hut on the right my friend Bob built.   Its nice to see a kitty come out of there each morning, but this spot needs some work before the snow starts to fly.  Its very rickety.  I need tarp, etc.

I continue to think positive about what I am doing.  When in doubt, I do it anyways, if I think I can't do it then I probably won't do it. But as long as I keep a positive outlook on things then what I want to achieve will happen. I must stop putting up my own walls.


"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible."

1 comment:

  1. They are very pretty kittys, I love the dilute torty. One by, little by little, the numbers are decreasing, much love to you and Laura. How either of you girls do all this, and still have well managed lives, tells me I have to pick up my game !

    ReplyDelete