Monday, November 12, 2012

Good News Bad News

OK, which do you want first?  OK, bad news first - just like I like to eat something like a chocolate dessert, or a cookie with something in it, I eat all around it and save the best for the last few bites.

I pulled up to my third spot this morning where I rescued Big Red from recently, whereTalkie, the female kitty who has been hanging around there forever, and runs to me waiting to eat each morning still hangs, was not around.  As I placed food down for the other two kitties that are there - neck wound kitty still hangs out there also, I could hear a faint constant cat crying.  I walked all around the first floor boarded up house, and as I came around to the other side, I saw her in the 2nd floor boardless, windowless window, crying and wanting to jump, but too scared.  She was constant crying.  I called for her for about 10 minutes, meanwhile looking all around to find something - anything - like a ladder, even thought of knocking on the neighbor's door asking them to move their van up a bit so maybe she might be less intimidated by jumping on top of the van, but I don't think they are cat friendly type next store, so I thought better of that.  I drove off hoping she would know I had been there and was leaving food and would jump after I left.  I went to my next stop and fed Bugsy, Red and Boots.


As I drove to my next stop, on Webster near Ferndale (pictures before above), I noticed some boards stacked up by the side of the road.  My heart sank.  Someone had removed every single piece of wood and bowls, blankets, plastic tote hut, and the feeding station my good friends Kristin and Darrin had made for me.  They took each part of that wooden station apart, piece by piece.  The plastic that crazy Marilee had placed over the shelter for protection from the rain was gone.  Her very large carrier she has set up and was used by a sweet white kitty every night was broken to bits.  My reaction is to immediately replace the shelter for the cats that are sitting there waiting, confused and hungry.  How can someone do this knowing they are hurting these animals, displacing them?  How can they conscientiously do this?  So it took me about 10 minutes but I dragged each and every single board that was there back to this spot and made a quick makeshift shelter for them.  Who ever did this and sees it knows I mean business.  These were very heavy pieces of wood I dragged myself.  So, between these two situations, I was shaken.

The good news.  I rescued Morris, the kitty on Stout, and my wonderful friend Nancy took him Saturday morning just a few hours after placing him gently into my carrier.   It turns out he is a real sweetheart, and in Nancy's own words:  "I've renamed him Jack as in Jack-O-lantern. It's easier for me to remember :) He's soooo sweet....He purrs constantly, esp. when I'm scratching him.  I really thinks he's happy you rescued him."
I am so happy too Nancy.  You have done a lot for me over the past year and half.  I am going to feature the adult kitties Nancy has taken in and given a loving home to as soon as I get their pictures.

The next bit of news:  Vanessa.  I don't normally purchase coupon books, but the woman who called me two weeks ago was pretty good at her job.  She convinced me over the phone to purchase one of these books, which is unusual!  I am pretty stingy who I give my money to!  When she stopped by yesterday to deliver, all of which time I had Miss B. and Wally over for lunch and Wally helping rake leaves, this woman, Judy, noticed Vanessa behind the screen on the porch, and Vanessa started to paw at the screen towards her.  This woman kept saying how wonderful Vanessa was, and I told her she was available for adoption after I had rescued her about a month and half ago, and I had just adopted out her two little boys weeks earlier, Pumpkin and Magic.  Judy called my house a few hours later and said she wanted to adopt her!   What luck!  I will be bringing Vanessa over next weekend to make sure that this new situation passes muster!  :)

Although I have fallen in love with Vanessa, I know I must keep them moving along so that I am able to rescue more loving cats from the streets. 

1 comment:

  1. Two more adoptions this weekend Janine, congratulations and thank you for the inspiration that your achievements and blog give me each day, the possibilities it brings to mind, when you get homes for these not so easy to place kittys off the rough old streets. Even the bad news has its place, reminding me to help you get these cats far away from harms way.....by chance I have a car fridge cooler in the works for you, hope Talkie is out and about tomorrow, let us know ?

    ReplyDelete