Monday, November 26, 2012

The Scoop

Wow, what a weekend.  SO much to tell. 

Lisa, the lunatic, continues to take the cat food away from the spot I feed kitties at on Parsells.  I have to say, I have great animosity toward this 'woman'.  This woman, who supposedly loves cats, has tortured, maimed and killed cats before, this being known to the Rochester Police Department, and Animal Services of Rochester.  I helped to get a kitten away from her this past springtime.  The more I run into her, I believe she is not only mentally sick, but I believe she prostitutes herself for either money, ciggerettes, or drugs.  Each time I see her now she is in and out of houses/apartments on Parsells, with different men.  She is a sick woman and each and every time I go to this spot, whether I see her or not, I want to lash out at her, or even stop at her apartment and lash out, but I know that is not right and won't do that.  But God help me if I catch her in the act of taking my things again.   She is doing nothing but hurting these animals by trashing my meagher shelters I placed there, and the food.  Its cold outside, and they need something, but she believes they will get hit by a car if I place things on the opposite side of the street that she lives on.  She is a sicko, and I hope someday she gets what she deserves.

Vanessa:  Vanessa is the young mommy cat of Pumpkin and Magic, whom I had adopted out over a month ago, to a nice couple in Phelps.  This woman originally just wanted Pumpkin, the little orange, until we convinced her (Sue from Another Chance aka Susie Q Rescue in Livonia) to take his brother Magic too.  After a few days, she called Sue and said 'it wasn't working out', the four dreaded words you sometimes hear in rescue.  Sue advised that due to her being very busy that week, if she could just 'give it a chance', and then if it still was not working out, she would come pick up Magic and I would take him back.  It turned out that after a week, it WAS working out, and they have all become one happy family ever since, the couple, the kittens, and two small dogs.  Great story.

Now, Vanessa, the mommy.   She was spotted on my porch one warm fall day about three weeks ago by a woman selling coupon books.  She called me later that day and asked if she would be able to adopt her.  We agreed on a date and yesterday, I brought little Vanessa over to her 'new home'.  I was leary at first, as I always am placing kitties I have already fallen in love with.   So I brought her over in my home inspection mode, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Such a lovely, beautiful home this sweet couple had, built in the 20's, in the area of Seneca Park Zoo/North Clinton area.   Such a lovely couple.  They had a kitty already that they had adopted about two years ago and felt she needed a companion.  I would not normally recommend two females being adopted at separate times, but she seemed to really love Vanessa.  Vanessa was very curious after she got out of the carrier and was running here and there sniffing around getting used to her new surroundings.  Kitty #1 went into hiding after spotting Vanessa!  After about an hour, I left feeling good about this.  I got a call later in the evening that things were ok so far.  This morning, around 6:30 am., I got a call from this couple stating the dreaded four words "its not working out'.  I then gave them some counselling, stating that this was TOO SOON to make that decision, that you have to give kitties a chance to get to know each other.  The couple seemed to want them to interact immediately, so I didn't mention that it might be wise to put Vanessa into a separate room for a bit so that they can get to know each other 'under the door' for a bit and slowly introduce them.  I mentioned this this morning and they said they would try it.

I would appreciate any comments from folks with advise of your own for them.  It would be very helpful to me as there are some kitties I MUST rescue:

1.  Monkey on Second


2.  Bugsy on Hayward:

3.  Grady on Third:

4.  Grey on Parsells

5.  Mr. Kitty on Central


All five of these cats would make a very fine, loving companion, and will have a very hard time making it through this winter on the streets.  I must get them off the street.

Tomorrow:  Boarding up windows in a garage, another list of my spots and its happenings!  :)  Stay tuned!

"Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet."

6 comments:

  1. probably stating the obvious, but this worked for me with new "familly" members coming in. Introduce after cats feeding time, maybe give a little extra on those occassions, so they feel fat and sleepy ! pawing thru the door works for my new cats too, 2 more litter boxes than the number of cats you have, and put the additional ones where they can be used away from the others if possible. Handle origional cats after handling new kitty, they will get the new scent. without actually being face to face with new cat. Introduce in an area that is not an area without an escape for either cat if there is tension, so not a confined bed room ect. If you know you have a bossy cat , play with him using mouse, laser pointer, ect., get him mentaly tired before intro., and I prefer to keep all meetings short, and supervised. Sucessful intro can take several weeks, I honestly have never had a problem, but I do take a lot of time with it. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilove todays quotation !

    ReplyDelete
  3. A super place to find all kinds of helpful information - http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/aggression.html

    Cats tend to defend their territory by exhibiting territorial aggression when a new cat is added to the household, and even when a resident cat returns from a hospital stay bearing unfamiliar smells. Owners often observe the territorial aggressive cat swatting, chasing, and attacking the new or returning cat.

    The most effective management of territorial aggression is to prevent it from occurring when first bringing home a new cat. However, the following steps can be taken even if you have already introduced a new cat and your cats are brawling. All of the following steps should be taken slowly; rushed introductions are the most common cause of failure.

    Your new cat should be confined to his own room with litter, food, and water. The two cats should be able to smell and hear each other through the closed door, but there should be no physical contact.

    After a few days, switch the positions of the cats. Allow your cat to investigate the smells of the newcomer, while the new cat explores the house and the scent of his new playmate. Expect some hissing. Switch them back after they have had some time to explore.

    The next step is place them on opposite ends of the same room, either in carriers or restrained with harnesses and leashes. Both cats should be fed, so that they learn to associate the pleasure of eating with each other's presence. If the cats won't eat, or seem anxious or aggressive, they are probably too close together. However, if they eat and seem relaxed, they can be moved closer together at the next feeding session.

    The final step is to release them from their carriers and feed them, still keeping them far apart. Monitor them for anxiety and aggression.

    This whole process can proceed only as quickly as your cats allow, and can take weeks or even months. Signs of anxiety or aggression usually indicate that the introductions are proceeding too quickly.
    If the territorial aggression still cannot be controlled, your veterinarian may prescribe medication for both the aggressor and the victim. Keep in mind that medication is only part of the solution; it must be used in conjunction with slow introductions and consistent rewards for peaceful behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice from no.3 comment(er). I must try it myself next time I get a new Kitty into my familly. Maree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to the number 3 commenter. I am having just such a problem and I will definirtley try all you have suggested! Thanks you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the other method, is to allow them to work things out on their own, stay out of it and pretty much IGNORE hiding, hissing (which isn't aggressive), growling, posturing, anything short of actual combat. It won't help matters if you get emotionally involved! I think we mostly get in the way and delay the process when we try to control and get between the parties: we don't speak the language, or know the proper protocols. Time is the essential ingredient, you must give it a week or two. And give plenty of affectionate attention to the original kitty, and almost ignore the newcomer - the original kitty is being asked to share HER territory (and that includes HER people), so she should get lots of support.

    ReplyDelete