Tuesday, November 20, 2012

TGIT!

Yes, its Tuesday for me, last day of work this week.  WONDERFUL.  Although I have so much planned that I am almost overwhelmed, again.  So much to do, run here, run there.  Sometimes I just want to curl up in a cocoon and not come out for days. 

Thank you to all who commented on yesterday's post.  Your comments mean the world to me because they reinforce my momentum.  Without comments here and there, I don't know how long I would or would've been writing this blog - I think we all need reinforcement in our lives in some form or another!

I am looking for some type of board - actually 30" x 50" to cover two smashed glass windows in a dilapidated garage that I am feeding a black cat in.  This is where Morris/Jack was recently rescued - There is no garage door and the windows on each side are broken out.  The door faces west, so regardless of the windows being boarded, the snow and wind will still enter the garage, but at least I can do something about the windows.  My other shelter on Webster was still intact this morning.  I use the word shelter loosely here.  Its a board on top of a skid, with paper plates underneath and a water dish.  Its pathetic.  Someone had trashed the wonderful shelter set up by my friend Kristin and me.  Since leaving a note to please leave it alone, no one has taken the board, but I am not sure how long that will last.

I did receive a call last night from Marilee, and I hate to call her crazy these days, because she sounds rather normal when I have spoken to her.  She told me about a woman on a street just down from this open lot, who offered to shelter the cats there.  The problem is, how do you move the four or so cats down the street?  I know if they have NOTHING there, and you cat call them from the street, that MAYBE they might follow the call, but how do you know they will find it?  This would be a better alternative, but then again, not sure how safe this new street would be - for me.  Its not the savoriest looking dead end street I've seen...

My spot on Seventh is now overtaken by young kitties.  As I pull up each morning the past week, I hear scurrying, one behind the other, as I walk up to the shelter.  I feel the towel underneath and it is still warm.   This used to be my one shelter that I knew all the kitties were neutered - this is where I had trouble all summer with someone taking the wood I had placed.  This is where I have rescued SO many kitties over the years, and where Teresa used to live, and where I 'rescued' Fluffy #2 now named 'Puma' just recently for a barn situation - picture of her sent to me yesterday below.   I will have to concentrate on this area for the next round of TNR.  Hopefully I can set up lots of traps here and get a few.

Below are pictures of my little Butters/Butterscotch/Thurston as he looks today.  He's getting so big!   Its amazing how quickly they grow. He was neutered last week, and is now a little man!   He loves his new sister Lovey! 




One other concern for me is the little grey neutered boy on Parsells.  He is wheezing and his eyes are watering.  He is sick.  He is a wonderful all grey cat that is just like my Smokey #2 was just before I rescued him.  He is like my Boris was just before I rescued him.  Smokey #2 has turned into one of the the sweetest, most gentlest cats I have - I can nuzzle him, and kiss him and basically just maul him as long as I want and he lets me!  He is one of those cats, and so is Boris, my little lover boy.  I am sure this grey kitty (that I have forgotten his name that I gave him a few weeks ago - shame on me - anyone have a suggestion?) will make someone very happy to have once rescued.  Any takers?

I spoke to Miss B. yesterday about her plans for Thanksgiving and was reminded that one year ago today she was in a women's shelter.  I reminded her that she has a lot to be thankful for this year.  I still make donations to these women in the form of clothes, cloth carry bags, etc. that we have extras of at work.  These women have nothing.  At this time of year, its important to give back, to something, anything.

In the meantime, please say a prayer for all these angels out on the streets that are cold and in need of a home.  And please spread the word far and wide.  Thank you and God Bless you all. 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely home Thurston has now, and in the company of the regal Siamese !!! I used to have 2 siamese girls years ago, named Minky and her sister Silky. The thing is, I purchased Minky first, intending to show her, but she always had the "Sniffles"..... I knew even less about cats then, than I do now. Anyway the breeder calls me one day and says, would you take her sister for free, the previous owner sent her back, she has the sniffles but I will give you the medicine. Yeah well, long story short, both has upper resp, infections that they never got over, and I now suspect something else as well, and only lived for 3 years. Despite the heart break of losing the two of them and the vet bills for them, I have never lost my desire to once again own another Siamese. My point is, that not only the street kittys can have an illness, and it is wrong to write off any street kitty as a potential burden to the household when any cat can have a health problem regardless of how it was raised and housed.So many of them are in need are are just as deserving and longing for a place of their own.

    ReplyDelete