Monday, November 19, 2012

RED

"Death is not the extinguishing of the light…
It is the putting out of the lamp because the dawn has come."




RED
?/2005 - 11/17/2012
My Sweet Precious Red.

Friday, I made an appointment with my vet to bring Red in on Saturday morning, first thing, if I could get him in the carrier.  Well, I did, at 5:30 am., and he didn't fight too hard.  Actually, he didn't have too much fight in him.  I didn't realize just how sick he was, although I suspected it.  I brought him in the house and placed him in a warm, quiet room.  He didn't cry too much, and when he did,  it was very faint, muted cries.  At 8:25 am., after gently petting and stroking him while he lay in the carrier, I brought him to Dr. Boehm who took one look at him and knew he was very sick.  He was extremely anemic, he weighed less than 8 pounds, and he was severely dehyrated.  He had many open wounds on his body.  My poor boy, the one I've fed on Hayward for at least three years now- every single day for three years, was very sick.   After confirming I was making the right decision, Dr. Boehm injected him with a sedative, and I held Red in my arms until his final injection.  He went in peace.   It was heartbraking.  Before that morning, I had so many doubts about doing it, like who am I to play God with an animal.  Maybe he would get better.  Red trusted me so much, and I was letting him down big time now.  But after a few days thinking about it since, I feel I did the right thing.  He would have suffered greatly, I could see he was already. 

I have done this many many many times in my life, and its never easy.  I feel a profound sense of loss each and every time.  I feel lucky and grateful for having Red for the short time I had him in my life.  I feel guilt over not taking him off the street sooner.  There's no simple answer to deal with this emotion except that animals get sick for no good reason and it has nothing to do with how well we care for them. I also know one day I will have to say goodbye again, to another...  That day unfortunately comes entirely too soon. The only thing we can do as pet owners are cherish each and everyday and take full advantage of the incredible, unconditional love an animal gives us.




RED in better days

6 comments:

  1. He is gorgeous, and you made a big improvement in his life Janine. Keep up the good work my dear friend.xxxxxx M

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how sad it seems. You made a huge difference in his life.
    Your caring heart, sacrifices, have improved us all.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for doing this, Janine. the sick and injured ones haunt me, too.
    I intend to catch the neck wound kitty, and see what we can do for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you, once again, Janine - and rest in peace Red. Tears reading this, but you surely did the right thing for the precious cat that you have nurtured for three years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janine...you are an angel. I believe you did the right thing for Red. I read your blog daily and admire your commitment and dedication. God bless you. Rose in Syracuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry you had to go through another loss. Thank you for rescuing Red from his suffering.

    ReplyDelete