Monday, November 5, 2012

WEEKEND UPDATE

OK, so Saturday morning started off pretty well!  The woman who adopted Butters had been wanting to go with me some morning to see what I actually did, and that morning she showed up at my door at 5:15 ready to hit the streets with me.  I was, and am, so grateful to her to want to see what's actually out there, to see what I see, to witness the reality of life for these few very lucky cats that I am able to provide a rickety shelter and some substance to keep them alive day after day on the streets of Rochester.  It was also very nice to have the company!  On top of that, she was my lucky charm because I found my phone at one of my spots that I had lost the day before!  It had been exposed to the rain we had overnight, but was still ticking!  Seriously, I wish I had more people interested in helping me do what I do, but for now, I am still grateful for everything else you all do to help me, even if only reading this blog which gives me the encouragement that I need to keep doing what I am doing.

That same day, I had to work another hospital gala, and as I was leaving the house in my skirt and heels, with my hands full of stuff, I tripped down the steps and landed on my already bad leg.  I was a muddy twisted mess!  So I am now LIMPING to each of my spots!  I didn't break anything or my pain would be much worse than it already is, but as I laythere for over a minute wondering if I had broken anything, I kept thinking about all the things I had to get done, and what would I do if I had broken something!  So, word to the wise, watch what you are doing at ALL TIMES!!!  :)

Sunday morning, as I was gimping along doing my feedings, I picked up Fluffy Jr., a female kitty I had neutered this past spring from Seventh Street, and  the daughter of Fluffy Sr., a kitty I rescued nearly three years ago and had placed in a home through Sue at Another Chance in Livonia.  Fluffy is the one I chose to be the barn kitty that I mentioned in a previous post.  Fluffy Jr. joined another female kitty Emmy that is still in her cage where they both will be mousers, but they will be treated very well at their new home in Phelps, which is where I drove her straight to after I finished my rounds.  No extra hour of sleep for me!  :(  The 'girls' are in a stable with three female horses.  I hope and pray I made the right decision, and that once acclimated to the sounds, smell and food readily available, that she and Emmy stick around.

I leave you with a note that was sent by Robyn, the girl who went with me on Saturday, to her friends, describing her morning with me:

"Hey folks ~ I had the privileged of going into the inner city this past Saturday morning at 5:30 AM to boarded up homes and vacant lots - near the public market area.... I went to see what Janine does 365 days a year for the past 4 years to feed and water (EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR) ~ 35 homeless cats. Janine is who found "Butters" - the Young's newest feline member - who is now know as "Thruston" - who is an absolute sweetheart!!!!!


We had ~ 13 stops in an hour and a half with 3-6 cats at each stop. THEY LOVE HER ARRIVAL! She is their angel!

It was invigorating, heartwarming, and off the charts a RUDE of Awakening for me!!!! These areas were so serene at 5-6 AM - you would not catch me dead in these areas in broad daylight - that would be too scary!!!!

Seeing what I saw.....Janine's mission of her life would be so better served if she had "just a tid-bit" of our help!

Can you offer any of the following?

Heavy weighted serving bowls - no glass - an old wooden salad serving bowl - heavy plastic serving bowls......?

Old, but washed,Frisbees that lay flat when upside down as a dry food plate - they do not blow away as paper plates!

Plastic containers - like ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, family size yogurt - 1 # size with lids as she prepares these each morning filled with canned cat food to squeeze out on top of the dry food!

Janine goes thru ~ 10 SOUP size cans (not Tuna size cans - not Fancy feast size cans) of canned food each day and over 100 #'s of dry cat food a week..... Out of her pocket....she replaces wet towels for bedding with dry - and needs towels, rugs, small matts, Plastic sheets, plastic table cloths, tarps to keep her angels safe from the colder weather coming.

She has huts made out of plastic totes with cut holes and filled with straw to help keep them warm...but the plastic barriers sometimes blow away and everything is drenched.

If you can offer heavy plastic large (not deep) bowls, Old wooden serving bowls, ANY tarps or protective covering for the shelters she has created, towels, rugs, FOOD - Not Picky - They don't care - You can drop off to me or I will gladly pick up from you after you grocery shop and think perhaps of this as a food-link......

I was astounded by what this woman does EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR!!!!!! FLABBERGASTED!!!!

Please consider helping her out in ANY WAY YOU can!!!!!!!!!! So many more than you even know - will appreciate your help...they never asked to be born and put into this situation...........They are just out there....with the cold coming...and no one BUT Janine to care!!!!!! DIG-DEEP...something??? to help the cause??????

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

  1. Robyn, that is an excellent post from an informed observer, thanks to a few people such as you, that take action when a problem crosses your path, the work that Janine does for the cats will surely bring more recogniton to this awful and ignored life for these voiceless creatures. I thank you, so, so much for your concern and love to the kittys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestion for feeding plates- i use frozen lunch plates- black plastic kind from Healthy Choice, etc. come in all sizes and shapes. Not as heavy as a frisbee but not as light as paper and a good re-use/recycle. they are usually right there to pick up the following night to soak for a minute, wash and reuse again. and the black color doesn't stand out as trash so maybe would help keep neighbors' objections down, IF they care about trash in those neighborhoods? Very easy to come by too.

    Please post what size tarps you think would work best. Small 6 x 8 ones i have seen for only $3-4 apiece.

    ReplyDelete