Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thursday


Another fairly quiet morning for me.  Thats a good thing.  I had enough upsetting mornings recently so I deserve this quiet time.  Its darker out now when I leave the house at 5:15, so a little spookier for me.  I am still unsure of my surroundings at my new first stop, so my extra sensory perception is on high alert there.  I creep into this backyard, my eyes darting this way and that, and go to the back of the yard, where the kitties are waiting.  I plunk down the food and water, give a little pat to whoever lets me, and slink my way back out to the street and very quietly drive away.

At one of my stops, on Webster and Ferndale, where I feed about 5 or 6 cats, the porch of the house that I have been using for feeding is being renovated.  Yesterday morning, I drove back past there on my way home, as I usually do, and saw a work truck sitting there with a very handsome (I might add) young guy standing outside drinking his coffee, with a hard hat on.   And if you know me, I didn't hesitate to pull over, get out and go up to him.  I introduced myself and told him I was the one with the cat food, etc. on the porch.  He told me that they (the company he works for or the owner of the house would probably call animal control once the house is finished.)  It is apparently being built 'green', and will be done within 90 days.   He wasn't mean about it.  Said his wife had two cats, he was  a dog person but he didn't like cats.  I mentioned I would have to find another location.  There is an abandoned house with a tiny porch two houses down.  I will have to start checking that out, moving them down there.  I left the man saying please be kind to the animals, they need food and water too. 

The house on Penns. and 4th is still  standing.  I am expecting to pull up there any day and have the house completely gone.  This is where I feed Sparkles, and Limpy #2, who were both there this morning, waiting.  Sparkles let me scratch her this morning, which was a change.  Usually its the other way around, she scratches me!

My last stop, on Parsells (yes, I've found more cats), a little grey tabby was watching me from a distance place food down and as I started to walk away, she hungrily ran to the bowls.  I could see she had a pouch hanging down, and I suspect this was because she is nursing.  I didn't know kittens could be born right now, but I guess they can.  Thought it was seasonal.  I must keep my eye on this, must work again with Lollipop when they start the TNR program back up in August.  They've been a life-saver to me, financially, for spaying cats.  I have always depended on Habitat for Cats - but they charge $50 per cat and its always come out of my own pocket, which usually is empty.

Patric is healing at my house.  He got his bandage off two days ago, and is on medication to try to get his mouth a little pinker.  Doctor said he looked anemic.  I pray he heals, he is a bit more peppier, and has a home waiting for him.  Butters is a real cutie.  Kittens are so precious, but they do get big!  Larry is going to the vet for his ears, for the third time, on Friday.  Hopefully they will figure out just the right medicine for him.  My daily call to Wally assures me that Larry is doing fine.  I warn Wally that he must give him 'love'. 

Finally, thank you so much to the Canfield girls - Sharyn, her Mom, and my baby Bean.  Sharyn drove to my work place and dropped off some much needed bags and cans of food.  It was Winston Churchhill who said: ""We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."  So thanks to everyone who has given to me.  The kitties are very thankful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment