Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wareful Wednesday

This morning was very interesting.  It finally rained over night, so my paper plates and bowls had been obliterated by the time I arrived at my first stop.  The rain was a good thing though, as I remember driving this past weekend and thinking about the wildlife, such as deer, that depend on the rain for drinking.  Its been so dry for such a long time, you wonder how far animals have to travel to get a drop.

My next few stops were uneventful, all the usual suspects around, Big Red, Lucille, Vivian, Red, Boots, Talkie, a couple other no-namers, but not the injured raw wound kitty.  Didn't see him.  Then to the house on Webster and Fernwood, where I fed the usual there too.  Then to Seventh where The Fluffmeister is, and a few of this regular friends.  Then to Short, where I feed another three regulars there too - a kitteny black and white, a very thin orange, and the sweet pretty calico that winds itself around my legs as I am putting the food and water down under the porch of the house.  As I drive around, I always notice someone's life possessions placed, or thrown, out by the curb.  You have to wonder the circumstances of how all their belongings wind up outside, on the curb.  Then onto Pennsylvania and 4th.  Do you remember the man that threatened me to move my stuff.  Where a shelter was removed from there early this year, next to the church?  Where I have rescued over 10 cats from this corner, including at least four pregnant cats.  This is where Limpy #2 and Sparkles hang.  This is where Larry was just rescued!  Anyways, there was this man, sitting in front of his house next door to this vacant lot, which is next to this boarded up house.

When I first pulled up I noticed the bushes out front had been removed.  Then I noticed the man.  He was sitting there.  Courageously, I got out of the car, and just went right to what I intended to do, as Sparkles and Limpy 2 were waiting for me.  I then noticed he got up and was walking toward me.  I prepared for the onslaught of meanness.  But what I found was completely different.

He told me he didn't have a problem with the cats, he just didn't like the raccoons.  He apologized for his behavior toward me the last two times and that he really did like cats, that he had two in his house that he cared for.  He just didn't like the raccoons.  I told him the raccoons would never go away, and that (and yes, I told him Sparkles name :)) she had been pregnant, that I had her kittens aborted, but had to put her back because I had no one to take her.   I told him I had rescued several pregnant ones on this corner, and that I had found homes for many kitties on this corner as of today, Larry being the latest.  He was actually astounded by this, and said it was very good of me to do.  He then told me that the city was tearing the house down.  I told him I would have to find some alternative, some sheltered place to put food down.  He suggested that I could place a shelter in the back where there is a garage, next to the church.  I was just astounded.  We shook hands, his name is Tim, and we left on good terms.  His mother is a nurse, and he said that is where his compassion comes from.  So, that was a good good thing.

"Be Kinder Than Necessary"

Remember these words as you go along your daily life. Always treat people (and animals and the environment) a little nicer. There is no reason not to and you'll be making others feel better.




1 comment:

  1. Still lots of good people out there, even in that neighborhood Janine!! Get your inspiration from them. =)

    ReplyDelete