Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Determined, Fearless, Passionate, Persistent

These are words I would use to describe myself. 

At my (lets see... one, two, three, four...) fifth spot - Let me explain:  I've been feeding at this house on the corner for over a year now.  The owner is now fixing up this boarded up house to become a home.  There have been workers there every day since the spring time, fixing it up.  Prior to that, I had some nice shelters over the winter protecting these babies on the porch of this house, most of which were part of the TNR sweep done a few months ago.  These shelters were eventually vandalized, and taken, but I was still able to place food and water down for these cats daily.  This past Saturday, the bowls and plates were moved to the lawn, as if to say, we don't want to trash your stuff, and starve the cats, but you can't feed on this property any longer.  So, I moved the bowls down two houses, to a vacant boarded up double house, with dilapitated porches on each side.  Placing the bowls and plates down, the kitties followed me over.  This one porch was great shelter for storms, as it was protected on the west and southern sides, where a lot of storms come from.  I then went on my way to my other spots.  I travel back this way as I return home.  I always glance over to make sure the kitties are there eating, and as I did so on Saturday, I noticed everything was taken.  This was all within a half hour.   I got out, place more down, and went on my way.  Same thing Sunday.  I didn't know who would take this stuff, full bowls of food, needed water when its 95 degrees...  What kind of person.  So this morning, same thing.  They must have come out as soon as I drove away and threw EVERYTHING out.  I then circled around, and waited around the corner, nothing.  I then went on my way to finish my spots and come back.  Same thing.  They trashed the one remaining dish I placed there.  So I went and sat in my car watching, waiting. 

I even went up to the door and knocked on it to see if they were the ones that had the problem with me feeding on the neighboring property.  No answer, but what an eerie house that is.  Their is plastic tarp used as curtains all around the windows, which have a film of dirt on them.   There is a sign on the front door to beware of the dog, which now that I think of it, I didn't hear one when I banged on the door.  There is someone living there, as I see the trash cans moved around once in a while, but its a scary house, for sure.  But still, no one came out of the house during the few minutes I sat there.  I would have confronted whoever I saw doing it.  I am fearless when it comes to these animals and their welfare. 

I also drove back there before going to work and the one remaining dish that I had placed was still there.  I was bound and determined to make sure there was food and water for these cats, if I could help it.  I will do the same tomorrow, until I can find the person responsible and talk to them.

Seventh Street spot was not bothered overnight, thank God.  One less hassle for me this morning.  And the house on Pennslyvania has not been torn down, yet.  All the usual suspects were at all their spots waiting for me.  I will continue on my quest to save the world!  :)  Have a great day!

Personally, I would not give a fig for any man's religion whose horse, cat and dog do not feel its benefits. Life in any form is our perpetual responsibility. ~S. Parkes Cadman

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham


From beasts we scorn as soulless,
In forest, field and den,
The cry goes up to witness
The soullessness of men.
~M. Frida Hartley







2 comments:

  1. Great quotes Janine!! And great job! Rock on Fearless Lover of Creatures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine, I'm so sorry you have to deal with people trashing your sites, in addition to all you encounter. The spineless excuse for a human....waiting til you're gone to take away food & water for these poor kitties. You ARE fearless when it comes to defending these kitties...just be careful.

    ReplyDelete