Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Devil

dev·il   /ˈdɛvəl/ Show Spelled [dev-uhl] Show IPA noun, verb, dev·iled, dev·il·ing or ( especially British ) dev·illed, dev·il·ling.


noun

1. Theology .

a. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) the supreme spirit of evil; Satan.

b. a subordinate evil spirit at enmity with God, and having power to afflict humans both with bodily disease and with spiritual corruption.

2. an atrociously wicked, cruel, or ill-tempered person.

3. a person who is very clever, energetic, reckless, or mischievous.

4. a person, usually one in unfortunate or pitiable circumstances: The poor devil kept losing jobs through no fault of his own.

I had a very bad morning.  It started out as usual, going around to feed at my first spot with at least 6 cats, then the second spot with 4 cats, then the third spot with two, the fourth with 1 (of course, these are numbers of cats that I actually see during the minutes I am there).  I then went to the fifth spot, where someone has been trashing the food the second I leave.  I decided to place food there, for the AT LEAST 6 cats that are waiting for me, and then go drive around and keep coming back to check to see who is trashing.  I drove around and around the area, waiting, and then parked for a few, waiting.  I watched the cats eat, and then I watched a raccoon come eat, and then went back to chase the raccoon away, and then drove off, went to do a couple of spots, went back to this spot, and finally saw the bastard.  A black man, probably in his 40s was walking around there, and I got out of my car and went over him and shouted, 'are you the one that has been throwing the food out?" and he said it was him, and he told me he would keep doing it as long as he lived there, and that he didn't want the cats around and for me to take them with me.  Things got pretty heated, as I tried to explain that I was having these cats TNR'd, and that I had already rescued a lot of cats from this corner, and that I had no one to take the rest, and that with TNR they wouldn't be reproducing, but that in the meantime, they had to eat or they would starve to death and that I would never allow that to happen.  I told him I would NEVER go away, as long as there are cats there to feed.  Keep in mind, I was shouting at him at this point because he was just plain mean.  He agreed with me when I called him that, I told him he was going to hell, and he said he already had the devil sitting on his arm.  I called him a coward that he had to hide himself until I drove away to trash my food.  I told him the house next to him where I was placing the food was not his property and he shouted back it wasn't mine.  He said he had dogs, which I don't believe live with him, as I couldn't hear them through his open windows.  He said he didn't want the cats 'shit and piss' to deal with as his grandchildren had to walk through it.  We exchanged some other nasty stuff relating to this that I won't repeat.  Its bad enough I am writing about what this evil 'man' said to me.  It was terrible, I was shouting, and I just couldnt sway this evil person.  I wound up placing MORE food down on the grass on the other side of the house I went and knocked on yesterday (which obviously was the wrong person doing this), and left.  I watched him get on a bus before I left.  I am so bewildered as to what to do.  Norma from Pet Pride gave me words to use for a note to leave, which I did, which means nothing to someone like him.  The note read: 
Dear Neighbor:

We need your HELP! Our community wants a solution that will help the neighborhood control pests like rats and mice and also help the cats to live out their lives in good healthy conditions.


Sometimes outdoor cats behave in ways that their human neighbors don't like. Not everyone likes having cats in their yards, but the fact is, the animals are there because someone put them there. They live among their own in "colonies," and unless neutered, those colonies grow.

Catch and kill or attempts to relocate—do not work. Having cats removed from an area creates a vacuum, which more cats move into and breed to fill. There are simple things we can do together to ensure a peaceful coexistence. Neutered cats make less noise, fight less and KEEP THE RODENTS UNDER CONTROL.

If you're interested in learning more or helping out please contact me at ......

Thank you Norma for suggesting this.  I was also going to leave the article written up on me by Ben Gonyo in the Messenger Post, but that would have made little difference with a person like him anyways.

I left there feeling hopeless.  I went to the next spot where there are four cats waiting, and thank God who ever was trashing that spot lately spared me another day.  There are 4 cats waiting for me here each morning.  Then to the next spot where there are another  cats waiting.  Then the next where there are 3 more cats, which includes Sparkes, Limpy #2, and a mother cat who has just given birth as her milk ducts are very swollen.  Onto the next stop where I am on the porch, feeding Vivian and Bully, and a raccoon comes marching right up the steps towards me, no hesitation.  I stuck my sneaker out and kicked him.  He would have come right up and bit me.  I then went down the stairs to chase him and made a noise with the rock I was trying to throw at him, and I heard the girl open the windown next door and she said its because you are feeding them.  Meaning, I am feeding the raccoons, so naturally they are here.  At that point, I just lost it.  I told her I was getting the cats neutered, and that I couldn't just leave them to starve, and that the raccoons were the lesser of two evils, that I had to just chase them away while I was there, do the best I could.  I then started to cry.  It was such a horrible confrontation with this man just 15 minutes earlier, I just lost it.  She was nice and all, and she must have thought I was a looney tune, but I didn't care.  I told her I was so sick of coming into their neighborhoods and trying to fix their problems and all I get was opposition and meanness. 

I really wonder why I do this, its not that I like to, but these cats are waiting for me every day.  They depend on me!  And I am losing the best years of my life doing this!  And I have to do this all alone!  And I have to do this with my last dollar in my pocket!  I don't get much help!  I am exhausted!  I just wonder what would happen if I just stopped feeding.  What would happen to these cats?  I need something, I just don't know what.  ....... 

4 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie - I feel so bad for all you're doing. You not only aren't appreciated, you get hasseled daily by people. I still wish we could convert my shop to a cat haven and scoop them up; let them live their lives out there.
    Think about it. You DO need a break and can't continue this forever. You could come to my shop once/day instead of those streets if you wanted to see them -- Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nance. Think about the numbers though. I feed OVER 50 cats a day! Your little shop out back could never hold that many! :( I appreciate your note though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you move your feeding station down the street? or to a vacant house on the street behind? sometimes it's better to take the path of least resistance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, there are no vacant houses, I've looked, believe me. Not on Ferndale, nor on Webster near Ferndale. Just don't know what to do, especially with the rain we are supposed to get.

      Delete