Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Blues

"When you move your focus from competition to contribution, life becomes a celebration.  Never try to defeat people, just win their hearts." - Budda

Its been a really really insane weekend.  So much stuff happening out there.  It was nice to have Friday off, but seems so long ago, I've forgotten all the stuff that came to mind for the past three days that I wanted to write about!

I remember one thing that went through my mind as I went out for the millionth time in the morning.  I felt incredible sadness yesterday.  Maybe it was because of the bowls being missing at my first stop.  That is when it started.  I did not know who removed the bowls and stood up the board I had on the ground where I placed them.  I set new ones down, and prayed to God that who ever did it would leave them down for the day, as its been a very very hot summer, and the cats suffer without food and water.  I don't know if it was the people from Grand, or the people that live in the house in the new spot.  But they were there this morning.  That got me started yesterday, and then the rest was just plain sadness at all the filth and poverty that I have to leave these cats in each morning.  I hate leaving these animals behind.  I hate the fact that there aren't more people out there trying to trap neuter return so that this situation can gain some control and stop the cycle of homeless and feral cats breeding.  I am not well, I have pains and aches in places I shouldn't have at my age, and I worry how long I will be able to do this.  I think about rescue groups, and how are they marketing to the younger generations so that when they are too old to take in more cats, who will be picking up where they left off?  Who will run their organizations?  Will they have as much compassion in their hearts as this generation of rescuers have?

Then there are the three kitties I've recently rescued.  Larry, who is the grey kitty that had the horrible ear infection and mites.  He is just the sweetest boy, but started to go after a few of my territorial boys at home.  I wound up having to isolate him in different rooms, which there aren't many of with doors.  Then there is Patric, who has the infected toe.  He was going to heal at my house and then go to a new home, but his healing has been a slow progress, and he doesn't seem to be doing well, at all.  He is very lethargic and not eating much.  Its hard to see an animal going down hill.  He is going to have his bandage hopefully removed this week and maybe they will figure something out for him, but I can't afford his vet bills.  Same with Larry, he has been on two different ear meds but he is still shaking his head and scratching at it.  Then there is Butterscotch, who is just the cutest little thing in the world.  If you are ever in a depression, pick up a purring tiny kitten and have it fall asleep wrapped around your neck.  They are just precious creatures, so small, so innocent.  So, I have had my hands full at home, and on top of that to go out for an hour every single day, and fifteen or so times, I get out of my car, have to walk to the back of someone's property, or up the steps to an abandoned house, and place food down, clean out water bowls after they've been ravaged by raccoons and fill them, give a pat here and there to the friendly cats that come up, and then head back to the car to the next spot.  Its very very sad what I do and I just hope I can continue for as long as there are needy and hungry cats. 

Thanks for reading.  XO

1 comment: