Monday, July 30, 2012

Summertime

I am so grateful for the weather we've had.  Minus Saturday morning.  I finally decided to treat myself with a freebie I got for arranging a golf outing for work, by playing nine holes Saturday morning.  I arranged the tee time, and got everything ready the night before.  I planned on getting up extra early, being out extra early to feed my kitties, and then drive to the course in Penfield to do something I have not made time to do in a very long time.  As I got up at 4 am., I heard the soft tinny pings of rain on my metal awning as I stepped out onto my porch.  I thought, uh oh.  Then, by 5 am., it was full-fledged raining.  And needless to say, I got soaked Saturday morning.  I was all dressed in my little golf skirt and sleeveless top, but would have had to change when I got back home, IF it had let up and I was going to play.  It didn't, I cancelled, and went back to bed - for an hour.  I was upset, this was my one time I was forcing myself to go have some fun with something I hadn't done in a while, and it was raining. I even called my mother to ask her what she thought.  She said only a die-hard golfer would go, and I wasn't that.  It was just too wet.  Ph well, perhaps next weekend.

Life in the hood is for the most part quiet each morning - I am having a problem at my 7th street location as the kids are trashing my shelter.  I left another note this morning, after placing the board back against the wall, and trying to make the most of a board covering a once beautiful straw-filled hut that the cats used for winter shelter that was now torn to pieces.  The note reminded the kids that this was the only home the cats had and to please leave it alone.  They just don't understand.  I asked them to have some compassion.  As I was writing this in my car to bring to the back of the lot and leave with a stone on top of it so it wouldn't blow away, I thought, I wonder if these kids will go home to their parents and ask them what compassion means.  And I wonder if the parents would know what it means.

I have been moving the plates around for the cats on Webster and Ferndale.  I just don't know what I am going to do in inclement weather.  On Saturday, when it was raining, I did move the dishes to the porch of the abandoned house next to the apartment the devil man lives in, and I sat there and waited for the kitties to eat a bit, and then had to leave.  I hope the rain kept the devil man from coming out too soon to remove the bowls.  

So there you have it.  I face so many obstacles each day, and its taking me over an hour each morning now, and I am using up more than the two bags of dry - 16 pounds - food, and giving each kitty just a small nibble of wet as I bring three large containers of that but it just isn't enough.   I hope that the kitties fill their bellies just enough to get through another day, until the raccoons come around and ravage these spots.

"There are two things to aim  at in life:  first, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it.  Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second."

No comments:

Post a Comment