Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ramble On

Thats one of my favorite songs by Led Zepplin.   Its also a verb of pretty much what I have to do...  in spite of the worst of circumstances I face each day.  As I lay in bed this morning I could hear the rain falling, the rumble of thunder, and see the skies light up.  I knew it would not be an easy morning, just as it hasn't been in quite a while.  For me, I am OK, its the cats that feel stress over the weather, over upheaval of their shelters, feeding spots, etc.  I feel bad for them.  I went out at 5:15 am., the norm, and got soaked at my first spot, which is way in the back of a property, under many trees, which had soaked up the rain that had been falling all night, and was dripping in large drops on my head.  Then, as I went to the next few spots, God was watching over me, as the rain started to let up.  But things were very wet out there!  Had to change a lot of wet towels.

At my fifth spot, where I've had all sorts of trouble with the devil man, I decided I was just going to place the food on the house that is being remodeled on the corner, it would at least be there for the cats for a good hour before the workers came and removed it.  I just couldn't deal with the soaking rain, and the devil man that lives a few places down from there, and the cats were stressed enough.  As for tomorrow, I have no idea where to place their food.

I know I have had a lot of problems lately with feeding the cats.  I know that they depend on me.  I know they would suffer if I just quit cold turkey.  I have no one to help me on days where I am exhausted, sick, or just need a break.  I don't know how much longer I can continue with this.  I just don't know how to let go of this.  I don't know how I could live with myself knowing they are hungry, and cold, and I wasn't doing anything to help them.  Is this a sickness I have?  Or is this compassion at its best.  Some who don't see the reality of what I actually do might see it as a sickness - those who aren't out there with me in the 'battlefield'.   I don't know what to do.

PRAYER TO ST. FRANCIS
FOR Animals, OUR PETS

Good St. Francis, you loved all of God's creatures.
To you they were your brothers and sisters.

Help us to follow your example
of treating every living thing with kindness.
St. Francis, Patron Saint of animals,
watch over my pet
and keep my companion safe and healthy.

Amen.



2 comments:

  1. It is compassion at its best, Janine. maybe a compulsion to be compassionate! I have the same one, and I truly understand your exhaustion. I question my sanity sometimes too, and wish I could stop, but the thought of those little faces, sitting waiting patiently and hungrily for my arrival and dinner (in my case)is always enough to send me out into the snow, the rain, the potential conflicts with evil coldhearted humans trying to make me stop feeding and caring for them, same as you. I don't know if it helps or not, to know that there are those who DO understand. You know the kitties truly appreciate what you are doing for them, even those who still act feral and scared of you, and they need you. so, you can't stop.
    HUGS- Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. couldn't have said it better Carole!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete