Saturday, June 18, 2011

Morality - What to do...



Yesterday morning I 'successfully' trapped one of the kittens I've been talking about this past week. One of the three red babies. It was determined that its about 8 weeks old, the stage where the odds are only 50-50 to stay feral or become socialized. It was very scared. I first trapped the mother, but in the moment of panic, I felt I should let her go due to the kittens being with out their mother. It didn't take long before a baby fell for the bait. The cat was taken in by sweet Heather, who had it tested for leukemia where it turned out positive. The next step was to try to get the mother quickly to be tested. I tried again this morning, but wound up with another semi-adult cat. Again, in that moment of panic when you trap an animal that is wild, and its hurting itself in this cage trying to escape, I didn't know what to do. But I figured that most of the cats, if not all in this spot, were positive for leukemia. My only recourse is to bring it to Verona Street Animal Shelter, where it will surely meet its fate. Not to mention, they aren't open for another three hours, which will be a total of six hours this poor animal will have been in a trap. I did put food and water in there, and its resting quietly under my backyard bushes with a light towel draped over it. My question is, do I have the right to remove this animal from its life? Or do I have the obligation to remove this animal that is most likely sick, and continue to remove these animals that are most likely positive for leukemia, because they are only spreading it around to other cats, and in the long run, they will suffer painful deaths when they become ill from the disease. I am just so sad about this. I am sick that we have ONE shelter to bring this animal to on this side of town. And I heard they are GIVING AWAY cats today, during their hours of 12-3. They are open for only THREE hours on a Saturday! Whats wrong with those two things? They are obviously in a very overcrowded situation. I am sick about this situation. I have to wonder sometimes what I am doing. Bad morning so far, hope it gets better!

3 comments:

  1. Would you rather an animal die with dignity or suffer a long painful end - never knowing even a moment of kindness? You know the answer and what you need to do for these poor souls. A higher power sent you to these babies and will be with you on your rounds. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the first comment said it all.

    I feel for your pain.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are doing the humane thing taking it off the street not only so it does not spread the disease but not to die the horrible death from it, even though it is heartbreaking.....

    ReplyDelete