Friday, April 22, 2011

Fred - RIP



Yesterday was heartbreaking for me. After Fred was pulled off the street on Wednesday, brought immediately to a clinic to have neutered, was brought home and nurtured by me, I finally had him where he could let down his guard with me, and allowed me to pet and brush him, he started to purr for me. I had to bring him to the vet to be tested for leukemia before he could go to this girl's house for fostering and unfortunately he tested positive. Fred went to heaven yesterday morning. He was a good kitty. He would have made someone a very happy mommy or daddy. Its a shame we don't have enough people to adopt these sick babies as they can live out long lives. It absolutely broke my heart. I became even more determined to rescue these positive kitties from the street as they not only are infecting other cats, they will die slow and painful deaths eventually due to their weakened immune systems from being out in the elements and being exposed to fighting kitties, etc. So, I rescued Barney this morning, Fred's companion from this abandoned house. He will be tested for leukemia today or tomorrow, and depending on the outcome, he will be 'saved' no matter what. As heartbreaking, and as costly as Fred was to me, it was worth it to know these animals are not suffering anymore.

3 comments:

  1. I pray Barney is ok.

    I understand.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless. I know this is hard on you but it is the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. what you do is amazing and at least Fred passed knowing human love.

    ReplyDelete