Wednesday, June 30, 2010

and Then There Was Charles



I did my usual route this morning, pretty pathetic that the owner is still trashing my paper plates and water bowl on Central Park. I actually left work at 11 am. yesterday to see if he would be there working on his boarded up house to talk to him, but no sign of him. So I drove down Second Street to see if I could talk to someone there and met a dude named Duke, sitting there on the sidewalk. We chatted, said the guy across the street from the house I put food down next to the porch didn't like me feeding there, we discussed the man living next door, Duke said he might go for it if I asked. So I may head over there today to knock on his door. Luke said he's lived on Second his whole life, and its a pretty decent street. We will see... This morning as I was feeding on Hebard Street, a man on a bike rode by, I said hello, he stopped, we talked, his name is Charles, he lives in the apartment building right on the corner with his girlfriend and her son. Seems like a decent dude, there really are some around there. He offered to help feed the cats there at the garage for me. That was very nice. He didn't ask me for money, but he did say he was trying to get $3 cause it would by him chicken and something to feed his family. There really are people down on their luck. I told him I would swing back on my way to work if I had it, and sure enough, I came back with the $3, and also gave him a bag of salt potatoes and six chicken legs I had in my freezer! He seemed appreciative. He is going to give me his mother's phone number so we can work out a plan for future need of feeding the cats if I need the help. Nice guy. I have posted pics of Sweet Stripes and Sweet Smokey too here. Stripes really needs a home. Please consider!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice Janine. Yes, decent people everywhere, however some are a product of their environment and its not their fault. Kind of you to care so much.

    ReplyDelete