Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Pits



Well, this was a different sort of morning! As I was getting food out of my bag to set down for the Hayward Ave cats, I turned around and lo and behold, there stood a pit bull, within arms reach. As soon as I looked into her eyes, she started with the growling. I must say, my heart stopped for a moment. I had heard all sorts of stories of these breeds attacking and ripping flesh because of their strong jaws, etc., and I seriously thought, well, this is going to be my moment. I moved very slowly, and started to speak to her in low soft tones, but I was also cornered. But I decided, hey, I am here for the cats, and I will put down a bowl for you if you want it. Hey, the fastest way to the heart is food, right? So I did, but she kept growling, barking and backing away as I took a step here and there. I could tell she was females, as she had nipples the size of baby bottle teets, or whatever you call those! Poor thing, overbred. I decided to continue doing what I was doing, despite the fact I thought I was going to have a heart attack right then and there. When I was finished, I slowly walked back to my car. I then sat in it for the next five minutes or so, watching her sit there and bark at me, as you can see from the pictures. I started to talk to her like a little baby, as I do with dogs, and I could tell she wasn't vicious. I put my hand out the window and she slowly started to walk over, her eyes lowering and looking like she wanted a pat. I didn't go that far. I also thought, who's dog is this? I think the house next door has dogs, but wasn't sure. I called 311, but they won't come out for animals if they are not vicious or biting, and Animal Control didn't start until later that morning - I also told them I just didn't want her eating the cat food! But I just let her be. I am sure she gobbled all the cat food I left for the cats, but .... what are you going to do? Another exciting morning in the hood!

As a side note, I want to say, my sister just got a put bull puppy, who is the most loving animal around. They are not born vicious, its the people who train them that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment