Friday, January 26, 2018

Back to 'Normal'

TGIF.  

Thank you to all who donated to the Feed a Cat for Christmas campaign through December.   Your donations saved me from having to go to Walmart to buy my cat food for quite a few weeks, and that was very helpful.   I am so grateful.   I am also grateful to those that came running to donate shelters when I put the plea out during that terrible cold snap we had a couple of weeks ago.  And the hand warmers, and the foot warmers...............  Not only did you help the cats, but you helped me.  Thank you so much.

Second Street Mailbox
(look close and you can see bowls underneath)
I was notified the night before last about a double shooting yesterday on Second Street and Central Park, which happened around 3:30 pm.  Oh no!  The mailbox kitties!  I searched the news and found a video of a police man talking to the media, and right behind him was the mailbox.  And there were my little bowls that I filled that very morning.  Two men either shot at each other, or someone shot both of them, and took off.  I don’t believe there was any fatalities, which is good, but the first thing I thought about after seeing the video was the cats.  Just across the street, thanks to the property owner, I have several shelters in the grassy lot.  There are at least 8 cats that ‘live’ here.  I’ve probably rescued maybe five cats from this corner over the past two years, the last one being Chewy, just a few weeks ago.  I knew the police would have noticed these shelters, and known they were mine.  I am, after all, known by most of the cops that patrol the area. 

Its interesting that in ALL the years I’ve been doing this, I’ve never had a REAL problem.  I’ve met a lot of shady characters, but I've always been able to handle myself, and they have shown me respect over the years and just left me alone.  I tell my own cats that gather around me in the morning, as I am tying my boots, ‘I’ll be back guys!  Don’t you worry!’  Sometimes, I think they think – ‘Mama, don’t leave!  What if you never come back?  What will happen to us???’  And then there is my poor mother, who never says it, but I know she thinks about me every morning when she wakes, whether I am alive or dead.  Well, maybe not that, but something like it.  Don't worry Mama!  I'll be back!

Have a good day.
"Happy are those
who take life day
by day, complain
very little, and are
thankful for the
little things in life."

2 comments:

  1. Not just your mom J !
    ALL of your loyal fans think about you every day !
    I even wake up at 3:00 AM almost every morning now since getting to know you worrying about you -
    "Oh god its so cold this morning. I hope Janine is staying warm"
    or
    "Oh god its POURING - I hope Janine has her raincoat on this morning"
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for the fact that your second street location has always been left alone by the residents and that they seem to respect you and what you are doing. I know it's a dangerous area so please be careful - but no one seems to have any problem with you, which I hope will keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete