Monday, January 29, 2018

Dezzie

So if you will all recall, this past summer I rescued a mother cat who had a litter just a day prior, and two died prior and during transport to my house.  The other three died overnight in the cage I had them in in my living room.  It was heartbreaking for me as I had never experienced that.  I named Mom Destiny.  Or my niece named her.  Within a day, someone called me and asked me to take in four other week or two week old kittens that needed bottle feeding, but this person just couldn’t do it.  The second this girl walked in with them in the carrier, crying, Destiny heard these cries and went crazy.  We decided to place the kittens with her, her body still engorged with milk, and they latched on to her like she was their mother, and she in turn like they were her own babies.  It was destiny!  She nursed them until they were old enough, and then, one by one, were all adopted.  So was Destiny.  To a sweet wonderful person named Anne.  Anne named Destiny Dezzie.  Pretty name for a pretty cat. 

Thanks to all of you that keep in touch with me.  It is so appreciated, and a real pick me up to my day.  Its good to know my kitties are doing well, even on the rare occasions that these kitties I’ve come to love when rescued get adopted and have problems.  Anne just informed me that Dezzie had to have her leg amputated.  Here is what she had to say:

Dezzie is great! she's a total chatter box, still plays well/a lot with Sira and has become comfortable coming in the bedroom, jumping on the bed and sleeping in it (with or without me).  However, a couple months ago, basically my first week out of work,  I noticed that she had begun to limp.  After a couple weeks I took her to the vet and X-Rays determined that at some point, she had a really bad break in her hind leg which had resulted in a complete loss of cartilage in her knee joint.  My two options were to give pain meds all day until she could no longer jump, which would likely have been less than a year, or have her leg amputated which was going to be the definitive result in a matter of time.  So I elected to have her leg amputated.  I didn't see any sense in drugging her up all day until she was in further pain in no time.  $1,400 later, shes doing great! had no issues with surgery/recovery.  She continues to hall ass all over the apartment.  It was a tough decision for sure but I'm glad I happened to be out of work so I could care for her while she was recovering.

I hadn’t read her note right away, and when I did, I asked if there was something I might have missed while she was under my care, and how bad I felt because of the expense.  Here was her response:

No worries, she's worth every penny.  Her leg had been broken sometime in the past and did not heal properly, which allowed for the fast deterioration of cartridge.  When I picked her up from surgery, the vet said that when they shaved her leg, prior to amputation, they noticed scarring of puncture wounds and scratches so they concluded that she must have been bitten by another animal at some point.  So with that information they said it was a break and or an infection that caused the bones to come together in a way that just wore the cartilage away.  She had started limping off and on for a couple week then it became consistent, which is why I took her to the vet for x rays.  She's totally fine and it hasn't seemed to effect her mannerism so that's good....I swear, I thought she wasn't gonna come near me after going through that but it was actually the opposite, thankfully! 


Its amazing how these animals can recover from trauma like that.  Thank you Anne, for everything.

On another note, and a gross one at that, I have this morbid fascination for dead rats I guess.  This is what I saw in the road this morning, right next to the spot where the bread and sweets were left on the road on Short Street.  I TOLD YOU CITY OF ROCHESTER!  It ain't the cats fault!  😐

Poor Baby - I have compassion even for these nasty critters!

Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Aww, poor Destiny! I'm glad she has a mommy who was able to take care of her and get the surgery she needed. Animals are amazing how they can bounce back from trauma like losing a limb. She probably can't even remember what it was like to have four legs!

    ReplyDelete