Friday, January 12, 2018

DEC 27th!!! BENITA MAMA!!! Feed a Cat for Christmas!

B-MAMA!  Thank you for helping me to feed a cat for Christmas!  I don't know how we met, I believe she read my blog and reached out.  Her husband made me a shelter or two years ago, and somehow, she and I just connected.  She's a sweetie and I am thrilled to have her on the cats' side.  The world needs more Benitas, and the world needs more of those that love animals.   Thank you for helping me to Feed a Cat for Christmas B-Mama!!

Food for Thought

·       Do you want to be first? Be last.
·       Do you want to be a big deal? Serve others.
·       Do you want to be great? Be a servant.
·       Do you want to be number one? Be a slave.



For the past month or so, since the snow began this winter, my trek each morning has lasted about 2 hours – from leaving the house at 3:45 am. to arriving home around 5:45 am.   This leaves me little time to get ready for work, and head back out the door to get there by 7:30 am.  Trudging through snow takes an extra ½ an hour – that’s 1.5 extra minute to trudge to 20 spots.   If the snow is high enough, and I need to shovel out the shelters, we are talking nearly 2.5 hours.  That’s not fun.  Mornings like that I try to leave the house by 3:30 am. This morning, after two days of 50 degree weather, the snow melted, and my trek took 1.5 hours.   But that last half hour was not fun.  It began to pour the last four stops I made.  I was soaking, and just peeled off my clothes when I got in the house.  This is a gross job.  But necessary.  They need my help, and I am there to serve. 

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.”

I believe we should all serve in some capacity to help others, whether it be humans or animals.  There are many ways to serve – whether it is going out and volunteering to help at a shelter for humans, or a shelter for animals, it could be promoting someone else’s ideas. Whenever possible, champion others.  Send an anonymous donation to someone you know who is struggling financially.  Send a care package to deployed soldiers!  Go to a shelter and offer to clean out litter boxes (Hearthside Cats in Avon could use your help 24/7 with that!) Give compliments to others.  Send flowers to someone.  Volunteer in your community.  Place others first in your day-to-day.  Go walk a dog at a local shelter.  Be a food-for-thought animal advocate.  Even though serving animals at animal-welfare fundraisers is commonplace, it presents an ethical conflict. The disconnect is astounding: A number of shelters take in chickens and pigs, then turn around and host barbecues. Chicken Parmesan is served to help not only Fluffy and Fido but also Chicken Little.  It’s the responsibility of those working in the animal-sheltering community to be the example and extend compassion to all animals, including farmed animals. Many of these organizations share a mission to protect animals and ensure that they are treated humanely.  I am guilty of the same with my fundraiser.  I have had four, and served meat at all of them.  I’m always trying to please everyone, but I should try to come up with better ideas for food so its not harming an animal.  So the last service to an animal idea I have, if you are a true meat eater, is to not eat meat for a few days out of your week.  Shun the meat industry!  Eat a vegetable!  They really don’t have feelings, even though I sometimes wonder if they do.  😕 And remember to get that last bean out of the can after you empty it!  

Lets get these beauties adopted: 

BUTTERBALL

CHARLIE

CHEWY

MILO


Have a great day!



1 comment: