Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Scenes From A Morning

(Don't forget - you can click on the pictures to see up close)

Its getting a bit milder out there, not too cold this morning - no rain.  That's a good thing.  The kitties were out in full swing.  All of them waiting, all of them hungry.   Most spots had a little food left, which meant no raccoon came by for a nibble since I was there yesterday morning.  Some didn't though, and you can always tell when a wild critter has been there, very dirty water, with dirt and stones left in the bowl.  The food is always gone, and the plates are always scattered. 

Tuffy

Tuffy


No sign of Tuffy today, who was neutered, thanks to Laura's help, last year.  It was hard to let him back out.  I had a really hard time with that decision, although it really wasn't my decision to make.   Laura Burns, who is an expert trapper, and firm believer in TNR, trapped him, and it was her decision to make as she was helping me.  She firmly believes in TNR.  Trap, neuter and RETURN.  She believes these guys, mostly ferals, belong out there, to live out the remainder of their lives.  I just want to save them all.  Bring them all indoors.

I still pass by Stout Street - where those really mean people took over the house and began renovations, where I had to have the cops come to keep the peace while I removed some shelters from under the porch there, where I fed Blackie and several others for years.  If you will recall, there are still shelters inside the boarded up garage, where I was told that when the city inspection happens, the garage will be open and I can get the plastic totes out of there.  It still hasn't happened, and the garage is still boarded, but now there are people living in the house.  The only good thing that came out of this whole thing was Blackie. He was offered a place out in the country to live the remainder of life, by an ex-co-worker and friend.  After spending the first half of this past winter outside in the barn, he has since moved indoors, where he is loved and sheltered.  He tested positive for leukemia, so he is not around the other cats living there, but he is just as loved.  Here is a picture of him now.  I miss that little biter.  Thanks to Sandra and her husband Jim. They both love him dearly.

Blackie on Stout

Blackie after Rescue

Blackie after rescue

And if you will recall Boris, who was rescued several years ago, and adopted out to a family who began to have trouble with him being aggressive towards their older female cat, and finally made the decision they couldn't keep him anymore, here he is, in his new home, loved and loving every moment of his new life.  His new name is Greyling.  Thanks to Linda and her son Sol.


Greyling/Boris

And then there is Big Red - I fed Big Red for years on Garson, had him fixed, and when my friend and her husband offered to take him, after posting pictures of him, I finally was able to rescue this guy.  He has since tested positive for FIV, and is in a beautiful enclosed full windowed porch with his baby sister Monkey, who I also rescued from Second Street several years ago, as a young girl.  Big Red, who is now named Sandy, went through many rough winters, but survived, and is thriving today, thanks to people like Maree and Joe. 


Big Red Before Rescue - Garson


Big Red Before Rescue


Big Red/Sandy (two years after rescue and adoption)


Big Red/Sandy (two years after rescue and adoption)

Since Big Red was rescued, I've been feeding, for several years now, Big Red #2 who looks identical to Big Red #1.  He has the same personality, everything.  I would love to find him a home.  Here he is this morning. He was gone for a good part of the brutal winter we had, I had worried about him because he is older.  But since he showed up again recently, he still comes to me, rolls over, and walks beside me until we get to the shelter for his morning breakfast to be served.

Big Red #2 - still out there (taken this morning)
Here is a new guy on Baldwin.  I first spotted him on one of the most wicked days this past winter.  It was bitterly cold, the wind was howling, and the snow was flying.  He was sitting across the street, and my heart broke to see him.  He was not far from the shelters where it was a little better, but he was new, so most likely wouldn't be welcomed inside so I placed food and water down under a dumpster there, and prayed he would come over and eat at least.  Since then, I didn't see him, but he has been to the shelters now, or on the lot where they are located, and waits for me to leave so that he can eat.  I place the food under the bench because he still hasn't been accepted by the group there.

New Guy on Baldwin
 There is a tiny red kitty, and a white with black kitty who are regulars here, below.

Webster and Ferndale
 Milly showed up at Short this morning.  I haven't seen her in a while, maybe once since I found her com padre Morgan inside this shelter in the back there, dead.

Short Street

Inside the Short St. shelter

Big Red #2 waiting

Pennsylvania and Second Big Black Boy - very friendly

Taken this morning

No sign of the white kitty on Parsells that I had suspected had babies, the second day now in a row I haven't seen her.  I now wonder if she was pregnant and had them these past two days.  I am worried sick and could kick myself, but how was I to know.  There were two new cats there this morning, one red, one brown tabby.  None of the others.  There are just so many homeless cats out there. 

That's all I have for today folks.  I wish you a GREAT day!

1 comment:

  1. So many pictures of kitty's you have saved, I really don't know how you keep track of them all and work full time as well. Laura is exceptional, there is no one that knows Feral cats and what works best for them than her, thank God she is so willing to share her knowledge and give help when ever asked, I love Laura, and Janine ! Bid Red 2 is indeed very like my Sandy, and if he has half the personality and love of humans, he will be a blessing to someone as a pet, I feel for these "old boys " that have toughed it out on the streets .

    ReplyDelete