Monday, April 6, 2015

Merlot

Patric - Just before I rescued him on Short Street

Over the weekend I received a call from an old co-worker who adopted a kitten that I rescued.  She sounded in great despair, and told me that our little Patric/Merlot had passed Friday evening.  She said he wasn't acting right Thursday, and by the time she got home from work on Friday, he was gone.  We don't know what happened, but we do know that he was a very loved little guy, from the time I rescued him two years ago as a young kitten from Short Street in July, 2012, to the little man he became.  He leaves behind his beloved mom Vera, and his brother Mickey.  Rest in peace my sweet little boy.

Merlot (Patric)

This morning was a very quiet morning, and I did my rounds quickly.  Nothing out of the ordinary, just a few damp towels to change BECAUSE OF THE @#@$#%$ SNOW WE HAD YESTERDAY, April 5th!  grrrrr....   Where is Spring? 


Shelter on Penn where Mr. Raccoon was - behind the brown tote.

Sunday morning I had a little tussel with a grizzly raccoon.  He just didn't want to move, and when I tried to get him to move, he lunged at me at one point.  Now I know, I don't want to get too close to a raccoon.  That would be a scary situation for me.  They aren't usually that aggressive.  After he finally scattered, I can guarantee you he didn't return to that spot that day.  If they get spooked enough, they won't come back for a bit.  Which is good.  Gives the cats a chance to eat the good stuff. 

I fed many a kitty today - stopped three times to feed cats that were out and about.  Who knows the last time they ate, so I took the chance to place a bowl of food and water down.  Two were feral, and hopefully they ventured back after scampering, but one was a little black and white tuxie on Webster that seemed very interested in what I had in the bag I was shaking when I stopped for him.  I just can't pass an animal up, knowing it may be hungry!  ugggh!

Trash surrounding Shelters under porch on Penn


As I went to my last stop - where I've been feeding two white kitties with black, and one black and white kitty, I noticed no one was around.  I placed the food and water down anyway and called for them.  One showed, the white with black, but it wasn't the female who may be nursing a litter.  I made two appointments this Friday for the clinic, all that I can handle by myself.  There is also the colony that a friend feeds at every other day, but does not do TNR, that I must try to get under control.  These are in addition to all my regular spots that surely have cats that have NOT been spayed and neutered.  I will have my hands full TNR'g this spring and summer, depending on how my finances go.  Its out of control, and I wish I had more help.

On a bright note, and I am trying to decide if this is considered a 'bright note', I saw Tuffy at the Third Street location. I haven't seen him most of the winter, so I thought he may have gone to that rainbow bridge where so many of his brothers and sisters have gone, relieving him of his suffering, but it was not to be.  He was there, looking old and tired.  But I was glad to see him.  The name I gave him years ago sure does fit him.  He's a tough old Tom Cat.

Have a great day everyone.

"I am only one, but still I am one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do."

5 comments:

  1. Lest you think I am not reading....XOXO -carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw, Tuffy ! are you still,going to,try and catch him Janine ? I know he is very elusive, would love to get him off the street, wonder if he would stay in a shelter in my woods ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too wish we could find a way to get Tuffy off the streets but he is pretty feral, right? I am glad you saw your old friend though. Does your friend Laura still do trapping for TNR? Could/ would she help you with the colony that is currently not being fixed? I will help with the cost as much as I can, I just can't trap or return really as I am kind of far away to do it before work. Let me know....... :)
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my little man :(. The second picture of him is the day I came home sick and he curled up in the sheets next to me, knowing I was sick. The next day I was dying to stretch out on the couch but couldn't because were both snuggling on it all after noon :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I remember Patric/Merlot. I'm so very sorry for your loss, Vera. I wonder what made him so sick? You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Wow, I can't believe Tuffy showed up again! It sure makes you wonder how they survive so many winters. Is he neutered?

    ReplyDelete