Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wednesday Woes

As hard as it is to get up, get ready - both mentally and physically, to go out the door in the dark and cold, start the car, and head into the city, every single day at 4:15 am., as soon as I finish my first and then second spot, I am into the swing of it.  But its a tough start.  Even on the best of days.  Who doesn't want to wake, look at the clock, and go back to sleep.  Who doesn't want to just loll around and watch television on the couch in the morning, having your coffee, kitties all over you.  I do, but it ain't happnin'.

I am sitting here typing this as Smokey (aka FANG) is wrapped around the back of my neck like a neck pillow. 






This morning, I had no other kitties on my mind except for the limping baby on Parsells.  I drove past the spot I saw him at yesterday very slowly on my way to my first spot, and didn't see any kitties.  I did my usual route, and an hour later, was back on Parsells, pulling over and watching.  I got out of the car where the bowls lay from yesterday, and started to fill them when this little girl came over and started to gobble the food.



After she knew she could trust me, I grabbed her gently by the scruff and felt her back end, and then her belly.  A girl.  AND, she was either pregnant, or had been.  Her nipples were not pronounced, and her milk ducts were soft and squishy.  I have only felt the milk ducts of one other cat years ago that didn't LOOK pregnant, and her milk ducts were hard.  I am the WORST when it comes to pregnant cats and babies.  I wish someone could guide me here.  Either way, she needs to be fixed, but I just don't know if she is currently nursing babies somewhere.  Here was the sidekick of hers sitting a distance waiting for me to leave.  They were both young, and starving.


This is why we need a shelter, or more fosters out there.  I need to have a place to bring these poor souls, instead of dumping them back on the city streets.  They are clearly somewhat trusting of humans, and given a week in a home, would be the best companions ever.  Better than a human in some ways!  :)  PLEASE CONSIDER FOSTERING ONE OF THESE BABIES!

Its incredibly sad to drive away from these animals.  I did not the see the limping kitty, nor the black and white baby girl I saw several days ago - three days in a row.

These are the challenges I face each day.  It sucks.

Have a nice day.

"If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

1 comment:

  1. Gee, I don't know either if she may be nursing, but somebody will know, many experienced cat people here wouldn't it be wonderful if we had a cat sanctuary somewhere in Rochester ? It can't be that difficult to do, and it is a dream of my own to turn our small acreage into just that, but when, I don't know...... Can't let go of the idea tho, they exist in other parts of the. Country.

    ReplyDelete