Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears....

I received a call yesterday from the clinic telling me that for sure Ruthie, who was trapped by Diane for me on Saturday, was pregnant, that they had her under anesthesia, and they could see she had a very large baby, just one, inside her, alive.  They asked my permission to see if they could revive it.   I told them of course, please try to save the baby if its that far along.  They said the baby looked like it was already weeks old, still inside mom.  Minutes before, they called to tell me that she had puss coming out of her .....  vulva, and they needed to know if they could administer meds and ask if I wanted a blood test for any disease, FIV and Leuk because she was so sick.  A third call was to tell me that the tests were negative for both, but to also ask me about the baby. The fourth call was to tell me that after 20 minutes of trying to resuscitate, the baby died.  The baby had been in the sac with very toxic fluids from the mom who was in obvious distress with infection.

After this, my heart was broken, and I went back to work, knowing that I would be picking up all four - well, Diane would pick up Cedric and Ruthie, that evening, I would pick  up Sweet Pete and Sadie.  Diane had trapped the other two, and was keeping them in her garage until this day, and would soon let them back out after healing.  Both feral kitties.

I got home and for the first time since last year, I made myself a drink, on a weekday night.  I had given up that habit since last year when I got on a healthy kick.  I thought, all is well, the the two cats are back with me and situated, and I can sit and relax after a stressful day and sip this drink before dinner.  Right after the drink, and during dinner, I got a message from Diane, who was picking up Ruthie and Cedric, that Ruthie wasn't breathing and they were 'working on her'.   I put down my fork, put on some clothes (I am practically in my PJs when I get home) and immediately went to the clinic to greet a distressed Diane.  After a few minutes we were called into the room to be told by Dr. Bender that Ruthie was basically on life support, they couldn't confirm what went wrong - either the anesthesia, blood clot, or some other situation, but she probably wouldn't make it without the breathing tube.  After confirmation, I asked the doctor to remove it.  Both Diane and I went back to be with Ruthie in her final moments.  I petted her and whispered in her ear that she would be in heaven with all her brothers and sisters.  She took her final breaths, and was pronounced.

I have to say this.  If it hadn't been for Diane helping me trap, Ruthie would have suffered and died on the streets.  She couldn't have delivered this baby, so large inside her.  If it hadn't been for Diane, I wouldn't have known the seriousness of what was happening to Ruthie, with all the other cats that need to be spayed and neutered, I wouldn't have had the wherewithal to know she needed to be trapped first.  I am so thankful that I did ask Diane to use her drop trap there, and catch Ruthie.  She saved her from terrible suffering on the streets.  Diane would do anything to save a life, and she helped Ruthie in her final days, so much.  Thank you Diane for your kindness and compassion.. 

I wish the world could know this story, and see the importance of spay and neutering.  It would save the lives of so many cats and end their suffering in childbirth on the streets.  Its just so important.  This clinic visit for four cats, including medicine and euthanasia also cost me a fortune.  IF any of you want to help in some way, please call the clinic and donate to my account.  You will have contributed to saving the lives of so many cats by doing this.  Thank you to those who have in the past.  I am truly grateful.

Ruthie fought a hard battle out there.  Help me to help them.


The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand
Don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears
You'd not want me to suffer, so.
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me til the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
it is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I must be saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.


"The soul would have no rainbow
had the eyes no tears."

7 comments:

  1. How sad Janine, if this story doesn't get you and the other TNR a"s people, more help, I don't know what will. It is obviousel Ruthie would have had a very painful,ending left on the street, you girls got her on time, my heartfelt thanks to you both for that. One day at a time, one cat at a time for us, it's a
    One row to hoe, but we will not give up because of cats like Ruthie and girls such as you and Diane.xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god Janine. I am so sorry and so sad for Ruthie, her baby, you and Diane. What you all went through. My heart breaks for little Ruthie and her suffering. But as always, you and Diane were there to relive her suffering. I can't imagine what she would have endured if you hadn't trapped her. This situation is just tragic and I cannot believe this continues to go on everyday in our city and around the country and essentially almost no one is dealing with it on a community level. I will certainly make a donation to your account today. Bless you and God bless Ruthie and her baby. My heart aches. :( -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to read about Ruthie :( What a sad day for all of those involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply heartbreaking. Thank you for showing Ruthie what real love felt like before she left for rainbow bridge. -carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Janine, I don't know what to say! I'm so glad that you and Diane were able to rescue Ruthie and were there for her in her final moments. You and Diane are special, special people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poor little thing we will never know what she has been thru in her short life and probably do not want to but find comfort in knowing
    In the end you gave her love and care and as you said a less painful end I am sure. I wish we could save them all it is so hard so hang in there
    I know the rewards for you are fewer than the heartbreak some weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just so you know of the good your do the 2 cats I adopted that you saved Webster and Tigger are doing amazing. We got Tigger in January he was a bit nervous so I wanted to tell you how amazingly great Tigger is doing! It is like he has been here for years now. We hit the 4 month mark to me it's the point they all turn the corner I wish more people would realize it does take time for these Kitties to adjust it is not overnight…unless your are Webster who is fabulous as always.

    Tigger is such a love and a snuggler. He loves to be held & lay his paws on your shoulder then tuck his entire head under your chin & he loves lots of kisses. He is He is doing great with my other cats. I am so glad you saved him and Webster they are such amazing kitties and I am grateful to you. Every time I look at them I wish I had room to take all the rest off the streets as they all deserve a home and to be loved. For as nervous as he was a first Tigger is always in the room where the most action and noise is. He does't like to be alone so it is good for him I have so many other cats & likes to be in the mix of a full room. I know you are not a fan of the kitties going outside but every morning before I go to work I let them out and they come back in before I leave. When I open the door they all pile out to the back yard and Tigger goes out the door and takes off like he has rockets on his paws .
    He runs all the way across the yard with tail straight up or chases one of the other across the yard. Then he stops at the tree line in the back yard and comes right back…it is a riot. He loves the option to go out and comes right back.
    .
    When I look into his eyes and they are so relaxed now I realize he really has come home
    Thank you for all you day every day for these sweet souls I hope someday the rewards can out weight the heartbreak.
    I hope more people adopt them and see how rewarding these streets can be and bring such love to their lives. They are Furever Greatful :)

    ReplyDelete