Wednesday, April 22, 2015

SPAY and NEUTER!!!

I will start first by telling you about the two TNR's (trap, neuter (spay) and return (to the streets) I did yesterday morning on Parsells.  One was Sour, the boy (confirmed) who was not too happy, hence the name Sour, and is certainly feral.  He spent the night on my porch, and again, he wasn't happy about it.  Sweet (Sweet and Sour, get it?) spent the night in my bathroom, and I have renamed her Princess.  I wanted to see how friendly she was, so I instructed the clinic to place her into a carrier while she was still asleep, a carrier which was brought back up to the clinic later in the day.  When I peeked in at her when she got home, she was still lying down, and when she did try to get up, very wobbly, still medicated from the drugs.

I also noted from the paperwork sent home that Princess was in early stage of pregnancy when she was brought in.  Poor little girl.  I left her alone, and kept checking in on her ever 20 minutes or so.  I finally opened the door to the carrier (always leery when you don't know the cat), and she just looked at me.  I placed a few morsels of food down in front of her and she hungrily, and very woosily (I know, thats not a word, but I like it), ate the food, and wanted more.  I knew that cats in this state can easily overeat and then vomit the food up, so I let her eat just a little, and placed the dish outside the carrier a bit to get her to come out, which she did, and I lovingly started to pet her.  She didn't blink.  She just ate.  Later, I went back in and she came out for wet food, and I picked her up, and its been love at first sight ever since.  ON HER PART.  I can't take in another cat, but let me tell you, she is one affectionate kitty!  She is sweet, gentle, petite, young female, and oh so beautiful!  She loves to sit on your lap, purr away and headbutt your face.  I lied, I am totally in love with this little girl that was on the streets for God knows how long, and by fate, or a stroke of luck, went into my trap that morning.  She is truly deserving of a loving home.  Please consider foster or adoption!  Here are a few pics.  She is camera shy (or she just doesn't like the flash in her eyes!).

PRINCESS!



As much as I hate letting these cats back onto the street, there is really no other choice right now for cats like Sour - a true feral.  But we can do something about cats like Princess, and there are so many out there.  Please consider fostering her.  If you don't fall in love with her yourself, we will get her adopted, eventually!  Some take longer than others, but 99.999% of the time they find the home that is right for them.

Regarding the bowls I was asking for yesterday, I would like nice sturdy paper bowls - like salad sized bowls - maybe 8 or 9 inches circumference.  (thats a wild guess).  Thank you!

There is a very pregnant female on Third and Central that hopefully will be trapped this weekend. I pray she does not give birth before this, and I pray she goes into the trap.  She is bulging at the seams. Sweetheart Diane has offered to help me with her drop trap.  She will then go in for spay on Tuesday at the clinic.  Diane is a foster for a rescue group and already has four new mothers in her care.  She has a ton of babies.  I don't like it either.  But we just can't save them all.  Remember, for every kitten born, five are euthanized in a shelter (I am sure this is wrong - the number is much higher).  OR dying or being killed by coyote, raccoons or other such creatures on the street and in the country right after birth.  We must get this problem under control!  I have FOUR slots at the clinic for Tuesday, so I will be setting two traps (thats all I have) Tuesday morning.  

If anyone can help with the cost of anything, it would be so appreciated.  It costs $50 per cat at the clinic. Their number is 585-288-0600.  This is new to me asking for help, but I am determined to try to gain control of a situation that seems hopeless.

From the American Humane Association:

What you can do to combat pet overpopulation:

  1. Always spay and neuter your pets.
  2. Always adopt your pets from a legitimate shelter or nonprofit rescue group. 
  3. Consider all the responsibilities and consequences of pet ownership before deciding to get a pet and always make a lifetime commitment to your pet.
  4. Educate your children, friends, family members and co-workers about pet overpopulation, adoption and the importance of spaying and neutering.
You can help stop generations of suffering. Have your female pet spayed and your male pet neutered. Don't allow them to breed and add to the pet overpopulation problem.

Thanks very much for listening, and reading.  Have a great day!

"Animals have these advantages over man:  they never hear the clock strike, they die without any idea of death, they have no theologians to instruct them, their last moments are not disturbed by unwelcome and unpleasant ceremonies, their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts lawsuits over their wills." 
~ Voltaire, letter to Count Schomberg, 31 August 1769

1 comment:

  1. Princess is a pretty girl, so obviousel you wanting human touch, her own person to love, I will pray she quickly gets a home, looks like she has done it hard, and alone, thank you Janine, she would be just another ignored lonely and most likely sick cat, if not for you feeding and watering, watching, every single day. God bless you. Btw I have. 4' long by 2 1/2 wide board, ....want Andrew to drop it off, have some coffee too .? Xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete