Monday, February 20, 2012

Choices

This is something I don't have the luxury of having  --  There are some terribly sick cats out there, and there is no one offering to take them in and care for them since Nancy, my Webster angel, did a month or so ago with five of them.  Bless her heart.  I have spent the past four morning trying by myself to trap a very very sick kitty at one of my spots.  He has severely labored breathing, yet is waiting each morning for me under the board, on top of a warm blanket.  He won't let me come too near him.  I placed the trap just under the board so he basically couldn't get out one side, and I had a freshly opened can of tuna inside to lure him, but I then remembered that he probably cannot smell the tuna due to his severe congestion.  I left and came back just before I finished my rounds.  I wonder if cats can die of suffocation when filled with their own mucous (sp?).  I am going to try placing the trap down again tomorrow, and going towards him from the other side to force him in - pray that works.  If I am successful, he will then go to the only choice I have - the emergency hospital for euthanization.  I have no money to care for him, nor do I have a place for him to heal.  Very sad that thats the only choice I have - Rochester is such a small city - we don't have enough people to care and love and foster animals.  I have had Another Chance Rescue group help me in the past but I believe their foster people are filled to capacity.   I've been on my own rescuing cats now for close to a year, and have four in my house that need adopting too.  Its just too much. 

We have an epidemic out there folks.  For each spot I go to, I hear a labored breathing.  None as bad as this poor angel I've been trying to trap, but its getting worse at each location.  I'm praying for a miracle.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so bad for the kitty! Love what you are doing Janine!

    ReplyDelete